Re: [BodgerPark] New poll for BodgerPark

  • a a
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2004
      I agree with you on your point 100% except there is no way I believe
      that the illiegal ones should be shot off in our tiny little
      back/front yards, PERIOD!!! "One night" of the "safe and sane" is enough for one
      year!!!!!!

      jsls110@... wrote:
      I wish one of the options had been to continue with the fireworks but only
      for that holiday, NOT the week before or 2-3 weeks later. It does get a bit old.
      Thanks,
      The Stewarts on Doty

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Kim
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
        I must agree with pqb, have we all forgotten what it was like to be a child and hold sparklers? Believe me, I don't want my home burnt to the ground.....it's all I have, but there has to be a better way. Perhaps next year we can talk to the police and form a small group that is willing to walk the neighborhood and inform folks that what they are doing is illegal and that we will be writing down addresses. Probably be better to just send out notices that we will be watching and reporting.....that always gets folk's attention. Just a thought.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
          I'm torn as well. On the one hand we are told that only a zero tolerance
          policy is enforceable, but on the other hand I really like fireworks on the
          4th. I just hate the several weeks before and after. I wonder if a noise
          ordnance would be enforceable?

          We will have the opportunity to vote as a city on this issue in November,
          but it will still be an all-or-nothing question.

          Brent

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
            It not just us that suffer but it's our pets that I worry about also.

            I do remember being a small child and the fun we had with firework but times have changed and it's no longer the way it used to be, the constant nerve racking popping and booming of the fireworks drive my pets crazy for days before and after the holiday and I hate seeing them suffer......they should just be banned...Period!

            Just "my" thought!!!

            Kim <loca107.1@...> wrote: I must agree with pqb, have we all forgotten what it was like to be a child and hold sparklers? Believe me, I don't want my home burnt to the ground.....it's all I have, but there has to be a better way. Perhaps next year we can talk to the police and form a small group that is willing to walk the neighborhood and inform folks that what they are doing is illegal and that we will be writing down addresses. Probably be better to just send out notices that we will be watching and reporting.....that always gets folk's attention. Just a thought.

            Wrong. Fireworks are synonymous with our nations celebration of the
            4th of July. My family revels in the fact that we can stay home with
            friends & family and celebrate the fourth with a barbeque that
            culminates with a display of "safe & sane" fireworks.

            --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, a a <flowerfairy62@y...> wrote:

            > I second the motion.....
            >
            > Let's ban all fireworks!!!!!!
            >

            > Higush <higush@d...> wrote: Lets ban all fireworks

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
              agreed

              .

              "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
              went." - Will Rogers

            • pgbnyc62@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2004
                So this discussion narrows down to the promotion of family activities (barbeque, fun and fireworks) vs. the well being of pets.

                I am a pet owner, and I have made the decision of family over pets. I agree that publically funded firework shows may be an alternative, but not for me. Here's why:

                1. Driving - traffic to & from these shows are a nightmare; as well heavy foot traffic is a factor, which leads to #2;
                2. Crowds - usually very large and at times unruly; these public displays usually attract an element that is extremely self-indulgent which culiminates in #3;
                3. Safty of my family - most importantly, my family is safer at home on the 4th of July, than away.

                Finally, Have you ever researched in to where the money spent on fireworks go? I believe they usually benefit a charitable organization. So I promote charity and family.

                One might say this is quite a wholesome day;-)

                In conclusion, the issue is not fireworks, but the enforcement of existing laws and the negligence of those in charge to enforce them.
              • Kim
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2004
                  I must say that I kinda-sorta agree with this. The main thrust of the enforcers is that they have no way of telling the legal from the illegall fireworks, however what about just enforcing a "no fireworks" ban except on the fourth? This way there is only one night of our pets being disturbed (which we can hopefully deal with by bringing them in) and the police can be called and crack down on illegal usage at other times. The key, I believe, is to notify folks of this plan and enforcement. Whadda ya think?