recipe info. request

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2012
      Hi neighbors, I'm having a cooking emergency right here and now.  I am making the Nilla Vanilla wafer banana pudding.  I printed the recipe out but as I read it I find that it doesn't tell what temp. to cook it at!  Can you believe it?  Anyhoo, I'm half-way into it and would REALLY appreciate it if anyone knows the temp. or has the old recipe w/the oven temp. on it.  If there are any men out there reading this, would you please ask the lady of the house?  This is happening here and now!  Maybe someone could call their Ma and then write an answer?  Sorry, reaching for straws; this is for an important person that I am gonna give it to tomorrow.  I'll keep the computer on and be waiting in the hopes that someone out there can help me.  Thanks, K
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2012
        350 Degrees??   Does this sound like what you are making??? BTW...It is the man in our house who cooks!!!
        Original Nilla Banana Pudding

        Layers of Nilla wafers, creamy pudding and fresh banana slices are the stars of this American classic.

        Prep: 30 mins - Cook: 15 mins - Cool: 15 mins

        3/4 cup sugar, divided
        1/3 cup all-purpose flour
        Dash salt
        3 eggs, separated
        2 cups milk
        1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
        45 NILLA Wafers, divided
        5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
        Additional NILLA Wafers and banana slices, for garnish

        1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

        2. Reserve 10 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1 1/2-quart casserole; cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.

        3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.

        4. Bake at 350°F in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with additional wafers and banana slices just before serving
      • loca107.1@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2012
          Oh Lord, I love you! I just finished "peaking" my egg whites and need to put this puppy into the oven. Like I said, I think, I got the recipe (again) from Nabisco. Can't believe that they forgot to put the temp. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!! I shall definately tell the person to whom this pudding is going about your contribution. Bless you. And by the by, you sound like the relationship that my in-laws (deceased) had, Pop cooked and Nan cleaned. Thank-you so much again for your quick response. K

          On , Jim & Kathy Radek <jimbokat@...> wrote:

          > 350 Degrees??   Does this sound like what you are making??? BTW...It is the man in our house who cooks!!!
          > Original Nilla Banana Pudding
          >

          > Layers of Nilla wafers, creamy pudding and fresh banana slices are the stars of this American classic.
          >
          > Prep: 30 mins - Cook: 15 mins - Cool: 15 mins
          >
          > 3/4 cup sugar, divided
          > 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
          > Dash salt
          > 3 eggs, separated
          > 2 cups milk
          > 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
          > 45 NILLA Wafers, divided
          > 5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
          > Additional NILLA Wafers and banana slices, for garnish
          >

          > 1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
          >
          > 2. Reserve 10 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1 1/2-quart casserole; cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over
          >
          > bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
          >
          > 3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.
          >
          > 4. Bake at 350°F in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with additional wafers and banana slices just before serving
          > --- On Sun, 6/24/12, Kim Parker loca107.1@...> wrote:
          >

          > From: Kim Parker loca107.1@...>
          > Subject: [BodgerPark] recipe info. request
          > To: "bodger park" bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 7:51 PM
          >

          > Hi neighbors, I'm having a cooking emergency right here and now.  I am making the Nilla Vanilla wafer banana pudding.  I printed the recipe out but as I read it I find that it doesn't tell what temp. to cook it at!  Can you believe it?  Anyhoo, I'm half-way into it and would REALLY appreciate it if anyone knows the temp. or has the old recipe w/the oven temp. on it.  If there are any men out there reading this, would you please ask the lady of the house?  This is happening here and now!  Maybe someone could call their Ma and then write an answer?  Sorry, reaching for straws; this is for an important person that I am gonna give it to tomorrow.  I'll keep the computer on and be waiting in the hopes that someone out there can help me.  Thanks, K

        • Katheryne Koelker

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 2012
              Katheryne,  this is the old-school recipe that used to come on the wafer box.  You gotta make your own pudding and whipped topping (merange) which you then bake to make the top a nice golden brown.  Be glad to give ya the recipe.  K

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 2012
                Thank you--I'd like to have that.  Never heard of egg whites in the recipe.  Only remember it without.

                Katheryne

[...]

              • Sue
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
                  Katheryne - I make "Banana Cream Dream" which is just a box of instant vanilla pudding w/ sour cream, 3 sliced bananas, 16 vanilla wafers in a glass pie pan and coolwhip topping - its refrigerated rather than baked. Thats probably something like you were talking about...

                  Sue

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
                    Aw, I'm impressed that you would like to try the original recipe. In this "quick-quick, faster-faster" age very few are willing to take the time to create something the way in which it was intended. On the other hand, I believe that the new shortcuts can be a wonderful time saver and probably taste delicious! I just make it this way 'cause that's how I've always done it...and it's yummy!

                    So here's the recipe:

                    3/4 c. sugar
                    1/3 c. flour
                    dash salt
                    3 eggs, seperated (whites in one bowl, yolks in another. Sorry, you probably know that.)
                    2 cups milk (I would suggest NOT using non-fat or 1%, whole milk is best but 2% tastes just lovely)
                    1/2 tsp. vanilla
                    45 Nilla Vanilla wafers, divided
                    5 bananas, sliced in circles

                    MIX 1/2c sugar, flour and salt in top of a double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 mins. or until thickened, stirring CONSTANTLY. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.

                    RESERVE 12 wafers for garnish (not to worry, you'll have several left in the box when you finish the main pudding). Spread a small amount of custard onto the bottom of a 1 and 1/2 qt. baking dish (I use a Pyrex bowl). Cover with layers of 1/3 EACH of the remaining wafers, bananas and remaining custard. Repeat layers 2 times, so that means basically 3 layers all together.

                    BEAT egg whites on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form ( this is when you turn the mixer off and when you lift it up there are "peaks" that stay weakly sticking above the merange. Again, sorry if you know this already). Gradually beat in remaining sugar until STIFF peaks form (these suckers just stay straight up). Spread over the bowl, sealing well to the edge of the dish/bowl. At this point you can then take a small spatula and create new peaks or designs in the merange to make it pretty.

                    BAKE 15 to 20 mins. @ 350 (thanks Radek family!) or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved wafers just before serving. I don't do this but if I did I would just crush up a couple and sprinkle it on top.

                    Well, that's it, kiddo. If and when you try this I reccomend serving it w/i a day or two of cooking; it tends to "sweat". That means that golden dropletts start oozing out of the merange; no idea as to what it is but hey, it's still all yummy. You don't have to eat the whole thing w/i a day or two, just give your first "volia!" presentation.

                    Let me know what you think of it iffin you try it. Sue's Banana Cream Dream also sounds wonderful, would never have thought of adding sour cream. We should make her give up her recipe. Take care and keep me in the loop re. the guy w/all the cars and trucks. K

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 27, 2012
                      "a box of instant vanilla pudding w/ sour cream, 3 sliced bananas, 16 vanilla wafers in a glass pie pan and coolwhip topping"

                      Similar--Mom doesn't use sour cream,and IIRC, the wafers are on the bottom of the pan.  And no topping.  But interesting!