Los Angeles' South Bay redistricting: City of Hawthorne

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14 3:09 PM
      Hello -

      I'm writing in regard to proposed redistricting boundaries that pertain to the City of Hawthorne.  Boundary visualizations from July 9th include Hawthorne with a variety of communities to the east and north of the City. However, it is my belief that Hawthorne's identity is more closely associated with its western and southern neighbors.

      As a personal example of this, I live in Hawthorne and I work in El Segundo, my son takes music lessons in El Segundo, and our family doctors are all in Torrance.  Last night we dined and watched a movie in Manhattan Beach, and the night before we dined in Redondo Beach.  I do grocery shopping in Hawthorne, Redondo Beach, and Manhattan Beach.  I recently visited friends in Del Aire.  Since I spend so much of my time in other South Bay cities, it makes sense to me that we would share common congressional representation.  On the other hand, since I infrequently travel to the communities in the July 9th proposed boundaries, it does not make sense to me to share congressional representation with them.

      Brent Morgan

    • Patricia Lin Hachiya
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18 12:26 PM

        Hello -

        I'm writing in regard to proposed redistricting boundaries that pertain to the City of Hawthorne.  Boundary visualizations from July 9th include Hawthorne with a variety of communities to the east and north of the City. However, it is my belief that Hawthorne's identity is more closely associated with its western and southern neighbors.

        As a personal example of this, I live in Hawthorne but attend church in Redondo Beach and in the fall, my oldest child will be attending school in Venice, CA.  .  About 99% of my grocery shopping and leisure activities take place in Hawthorne, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, and El Segundo.

        Furthermore, the City of Hawthorne is currently a member of the Southy Bay City of Governments, a council of governments that coordinating land use planning activities in the South Bay to ensure efficient land use and transportation activities and funding. State and Federal monies associated with land use and transportation currently filters down through this coordinating body and it has ensured middle class homeowners such as myself safe, decent and affordable opportunities to travel and own a home.

        I am a land use planner and my husband a teacher. We are decent, law-abiding citizens. The middle class is quickly dissipating in California. Please protect our rights to have decent representation that truly reflects where we work, live, and raise our children.
        Sincerely, Scott and Pat Hachiya