Bodger Park funds on deposit at Chase - what to do?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
      The Bodger Park Neighborhood Association has $249.76 on deposit at Chase and has maintained this balance for several years now due to inactivity.

      In December I received notice that Chase will start charging service fees in February, so I feel that rather than give the money to Chase I'd like to do something worthwhile with it. Either we need to revitalize the BPNA and move the money to a new account that does not charge fees or we need to donate the money to a deserving local charity per the bylaws Article V, part d:

      ARTICLE V. EXECUTIVE BOARD RESPONSIBILITIES
      a) Appoint three (3) members of the Executive Board to hold check-signing privileges in addition to the Treasurer. Two (2) signatures shall be required on each check.
      b) Review and approve all communication using the name Bodger Park Neighborhood Association, BPNA, or the Bodger Park Neighborhood Association logo.
      c) Meet no less frequently than once every two months.
      ==>d) Should the Association dissolve, all monies and properties shall be donated to an Association sanctioned charity.
      e) Trustees will perform an annual audit prior to the Annual Business meeting and report it at the Annual Business meeting.

    • Kevin Schaaf
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
        Brent -

        I appreciate that you have continued to keep track of things like this, so at least the money won't go to waste. I don't believe any of the money (or not much) came from me, but I'd suggest two possibilities:

        the House of Yahweh - soup kitchen and thrift shop on Marine, just west of Prairie
        the Roosevelt/Carson PTA - field trips, books, technology

        Full disclosure: I was a past President of the PTA, but I suggest these two possibilities because they are the two charities I know of that are closest to Bodger Park.

        Kevin

        To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
          I love the idea of the local PTA, since we've worked with the schools before. I hadn't considered them previously.

          However, I'd prefer it if someone stepped forward to take up leadership and we reinvested the money in the new BPNA.

          I'll wait a few days for other replies to the original to come in.

          Brent

          > To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com
          > From: kevin_schaaf@...
          > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:29:18 -0800
          > Subject: RE: [BodgerPark] Bodger Park funds on deposit at Chase - what to do?
          >

          > Brent -
          >
          > I appreciate that you have continued to keep track of things like this, so at least the money won't go to waste. I don't believe any of the money (or not much) came from me, but I'd suggest two possibilities:
          >
          > the House of Yahweh - soup kitchen and thrift shop on Marine, just west of Prairie
          > the Roosevelt/Carson PTA - field trips, books, technology
          >
          > Full disclosure: I was a past President of the PTA, but I suggest these two possibilities because they are the two charities I know of that are closest to Bodger Park.
          >
          > Kevin
          >

          > To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com
          > From: brentamorgan@...
          > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:57:45 -0800
          > Subject: [BodgerPark] Bodger Park funds on deposit at Chase - what to do?

          > The Bodger Park Neighborhood Association has $249.76 on deposit at Chase and has maintained this balance for several years now due to inactivity.
          >

          > In December I received notice that Chase will start charging service fees in February, so I feel that rather than give the money to Chase I'd like to do something worthwhile with it. Either we need to revitalize the BPNA and move the money to a new account that does not charge fees or we need to donate the money to a deserving local charity per the bylaws Article V, part d:
          >

          > ARTICLE V. EXECUTIVE BOARD RESPONSIBILITIES
          >
          > a) Appoint three (3) members of the Executive Board to hold check-signing privileges in addition to the Treasurer. Two (2) signatures shall be required on each check.
          >
          > b) Review and approve all communication using the name Bodger Park Neighborhood Association, BPNA, or the Bodger Park Neighborhood Association logo.
          >
          > c) Meet no less frequently than once every two months.
          >
          > ==>d) Should the Association dissolve, all monies and properties shall be donated to an Association sanctioned charity.
          >
          > e) Trustees will perform an annual audit prior to the Annual Business meeting and report it at the Annual Business meeting.
          >

          > Brent

        • Alene Gardner
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
            Hi Brent,
            I also would like to see the group revived. In the event that does not happen, donating the money to a local charity seems to be the best idea.

            Thanks,
            Alene

            Alene Gardner
            I love the idea of the local PTA, since we've worked with the schools before. I hadn't considered them previously.

            However, I'd prefer it if someone stepped forward to take up leadership and we reinvested the money in the new BPNA.

            I'll wait a few days for other replies to the original to come in.

            Brent

            > To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com
            > From: kevin_schaaf@...
            > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:29:18 -0800
            > Subject: RE: [BodgerPark] Bodger Park funds on deposit at Chase - what to do?
            >

            > Brent -
            >
            > I appreciate that you have continued to keep track of things like this, so at least the money won't go to waste. I don't believe any of the money (or not much) came from me, but I'd suggest two possibilities:
            >
            > the House of Yahweh - soup kitchen and thrift shop on Marine, just west of Prairie
            > the Roosevelt/Carson PTA - field trips, books, technology
            >
            > Full disclosure: I was a past President of the PTA, but I suggest these two possibilities because they are the two charities I know of that are closest to Bodger Park.
            >
            > Kevin
            >

            > To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com
            > From: brentamorgan@...
            > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:57:45 -0800
            > Subject: [BodgerPark] Bodger Park funds on deposit at Chase - what to do?

            > The Bodger Park Neighborhood Association has $249.76 on deposit at Chase and has maintained this balance for several years now due to inactivity.
            >

            > In December I received notice that Chase will start charging service fees in February, so I feel that rather than give the money to Chase I'd like to do something worthwhile with it. Either we need to revitalize the BPNA and move the money to a new account that does not charge fees or we need to donate the money to a deserving local charity per the bylaws Article V, part d:
            >

            > ARTICLE V. EXECUTIVE BOARD RESPONSIBILITIES
            >
            > a) Appoint three (3) members of the Executive Board to hold check-signing privileges in addition to the Treasurer. Two (2) signatures shall be required on each check.
            >
            > b) Review and approve all communication using the name Bodger Park Neighborhood Association, BPNA, or the Bodger Park Neighborhood Association logo.
            >
            > c) Meet no less frequently than once every two months.
            >
            > ==>d) Should the Association dissolve, all monies and properties shall be donated to an Association sanctioned charity.
            >
            > e) Trustees will perform an annual audit prior to the Annual Business meeting and report it at the Annual Business meeting.
            >

            > Brent

          • Higush Dear
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
              Hello to All and Happy New Year. I also agree with Alene.

              Higush Dear
              higush@...
              Dominium Management Corp.
              9629 Brighton Way
              Beverly Hills, California 90210
              (310) 275-9700, ext. 215
              (310) 274-1268, Fax

              On Jan 11, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Alene Gardner wrote:

              > Hi Brent,
              > I also would like to see the group revived. In the event that does
              > not happen, donating the money to a local charity seems to be the
              > best idea.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Alene
              >
              > Alene Gardner

            • Katheryne Koelker
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
                I must be really late on this one--was there a question of the group
                disbanding?  Hope not.
                 Katheryne

                ________________________________
                Hello to All and Happy New Year.  I also agree with Alene.

                Higush Dear
                higush@...
                Dominium Management Corp.
                9629 Brighton Way
                Beverly Hills, California 90210
                (310) 275-9700, ext. 215
                (310) 274-1268, Fax

                On Jan 11, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Alene Gardner wrote:

                > Hi Brent,
                > I also would like to see the group revived. In the event that does  not happen,
                >donating the money to a local charity seems to be the best idea.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Alene
                >
                > Alene Gardner

              • Katheryne Koelker
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
                  A good (sound) charity would be a worthwhile place for the money, if the HOA
                  won't be back.  If there is enough, perhaps two charities.
                   Katheryne

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 12, 2011
                    Just weighing in on this. If it must come to it, I think a charity would be
                    great. I don't, however, think that the Roosevelt PTA would be the best use
                    of the monies. I, too, have been a past president of the PTA and during my
                    two year tenure the parents were a basic no-show. I can't imagine that it
                    has changed much although I truly hope so. I don't think that apathy should
                    be rewarded.

                    I would love to see these monies put into something such as tree service,
                    streetlight maintenance,more policing, or even us finding a neighbor that
                    needs a little something done to their home to make it more liveable.

                    I would like to see the BPNA started up again although I understand that
                    it's hard to find folks to work it. Well, pipe dreams.

                    Thanks Brent for keeping on top of stuff although you didn't have to. I
                    just really vote NO on Roosevelt PTA. K

                  • Sue
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 12, 2011
                      I think the point here is : Many people (including Brent) would like to re-activate the BPNA, but no one so far has stepped up to the plate and volunteered to become the new president of the organization. Obviously someone has to do so... or down the tubes for BPNA. I personally am willing to be "support staff"; I was past secretary but believe I could handle treasurer as well - so will be either IF someone else volunteers to be Pres and/or Vice-Pres. Maybe Brent would consider Vice Pres (?) if someone in the neighborhood would step forward and run for the Presidential position. Doesn't have to be male, doesn't have to be over a certain age - just has to be a concerned Bodger Park citizen willing to put in a few hours a month.

                      Anybody out there??
                      Sue Moret on Bodger

                      --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Alene Gardner" <alene.gardner@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Brent,
                      > I also would like to see the group revived. In the event that does not happen, donating the money to a local charity seems to be the best idea.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Alene
                      >
                      > Alene Gardner

                    • Sue