FW: Request for comment, Measure CV

  • Kevin Schaaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2010
      After reading Brent's concerns, I requested some additional information from the Centinela Valley superintendent's office. Here is the response:

      Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:53:14 -0700
      From: tvazquez55@...
      Subject: Fw: Request for comment, Measure CV
      To: kevin_schaaf@...

      Hi Kevin,
      I hope the statement below will answer most of the questions you had about Measure CV thank you for willing to do the right thing for our students.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        I read the response, and it's not surprising that older buildings are not compliant with current codes. However, that doesn't address my concern that the 2010 Measure CV is a Christmas list - Should Measure CV pass, there is NO plan contained within the Measure, either directly or by reference, that says how the bond funds will be spent other than a wish list ranging from minor deferred maintenance items to completely new buildings. If I'm being asked to vote on additional annual fees of $30 per $100k of home valuation for the next 30 years, then I'd like to know what I'm voting for.

        This is not a matter of being wiling or unwilling to do the right thing for our students. I regularly do the right thing for students and I voted for the 2008 Measure CV, also a $98 million bond issue. This is a matter of preferring to vote for a plan that is well thought out and stated in such a way that there are clear, observable, and achievable goals associated with the nearly $100 million in spending that will take place.

        Brent

        To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com
        From: kevin_schaaf@...
        Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:36:51 -0700
        Subject: [BodgerPark] FW: Request for comment, Measure CV

        Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:53:14 -0700

        From: tvazquez55@...

        To: kevin_schaaf@...

        Hi Kevin,

        I hope the statement below will answer most of the questions you had about Measure CV thank you for willing to do the right thing for our students.

        As I discussed with Rob the buildings at Leuzinger, as well as at

        Hawthorne, and Lawndale High Schools have been evaluated by the design

        professionals, including structural engineers, as part of the due<deleted fro brevity>

        Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use

        .

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
          If you saw the Dayly Brezze about 2 weeks ago it said the City iof Lawndale won't back CV. And I think the City of Hawthorne isn't supporting CV too. At a  Hawthorne  I belive they voted not to support CV. Part is because if you DON'T live in the school  district you don't pay for the bond. The people in Lennox don't pay or all the kids who don't live in the district don't pay for the bonds.  Also the Wisebrurn school district has a bond to be voted on to start there own high School.If that passies more people not paying for the CV bond.
          Jim

          To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com
          From: kevin_schaaf@...
          Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:36:51 -0700

          Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:53:14 -0700

          From: tvazquez55@...

          To: kevin_schaaf@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
            I'd say if you're willing to believe the information in the mailers (that are paid for by the Construction Company), then vote for the bond - if not, then don't vote for it.
            I'd also say if your're willing to pay an about an additional $150 a year on your property taxes for the next 30 years (for a home valued somehwere between 400,000 and $500,000) for what's claimed to be planned in the mailers, then vote for the bond - if not, then don't vote for the bond.

            I lean towards the "not."