I'll be voting no on Measure CV. Here's why.

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2010
      Measure CV establishes a slush fund for Centinela Valley Union High School District.

      The measure does not have a single specific spending goal, instead listing everything and the kitchen sink that could possibly need maintenance, abatement, upgrading, replacement, improvement, or repair. The list takes up two whole pages in my voter pamphlet and ranges in scale from demolition and construction of entirely new buildings to repairing termite damage to door frames. The measure states only that, "The projects above will be completed AS NEEDED." [my emphasis]

      But it doesn't stop there. "...Proceeds from the sale of bonds will also be used for payment of facility related construction costs which have been determined to be owed by the District judicially or by mediation, arbitration, or settlement, the acquisition of land, the acquisition and releasing of pool facilities.....[lots more]...and the leasing or acquisition of a transportation lot for school buses." This appears to be broad enough to allow the school district to use the bond money for legal fees or to refinance existing bonds.

      What will they actually use the money for? I'd like to know before I vote yes.

      Additionally, the voters have already approved a $98 million bond issue, in 2008, also called Measure CV. See: http://www.centinela.k12.ca.us/measure_cv.jsp, which states:

      "Measure CV is a $98 million school bond measure
      passed in November 2008 with over 70% of the local vote. The Centinela
      Valley Union High School District has hired award-winning architects to
      create a new vision for each of the District's three distinct high
      school campuses. The campuses will receive much needed basic
      improvements as well as exciting new facilities and upgrades.
      Construction projects are commencing this summer, and the Performing
      Arts Center will also be completed for the 2010-11 school year so that
      students and the entire community can finally enjoy this world-class
      facility."

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2010
        We voted No on CV too. If they want to build school bus parting them they must want to bus more kids here. And they won't pay the new taxs on the bond. If they don't live in the district they don't pay for the bond.