RE: [BodgerPark] Guidi resigns from Hawthorne School District

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 12:22 PM
      The Larry Guidi that I know doesn't seem the sort of person to have stolen a mixer. In my opinion, there's clearly an untold side of the story. One interesting aspect of the case is the involvement of former councilman Louis Velez (who was forced from office due to charges of influence peddling). Convicted felons can not hold elected office in California.

      A 06/08/2010 article in the Breeze said, "....Louis Velez, a former
      Hawthorne city councilman and Guidi supporter, allegedly searched for
      the lost equipment in the warehouse and found it strategically hidden,
      Miller said.

      "In the back of the storage area behind a
      bunch of chairs and boxes, he found the mixer all wrapped up in black
      plastic," Miller said. "He subsequently set up a video camera to surveil
      the area."

      That surveillance camera caught Guidi on a recording taking the mixer, officials said.

      Velez was elected in 2003 but gave up his
      seat in 2007, after he was indicted by the Los Angeles County grand jury
      for having a
      conflict of interest in voting to approve a
      contract by developer Mohamad Pournamdari, who was also his landlord.
      Pournamdari is also a longtime campaign contributor to Guidi and his
      allies.

      As a councilman, Velez was a staunch ally of
      Guidi and was investigated alongside him in 2004, when the pair was
      suspected of
      obtaining vehicles at below-market prices
      from the city's towing contractor and then selling them for a profit."

      http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_15034631

      "Councilman Danny Juarez, who is serving as acting mayor pro tem, expressed sympathy for Guidi.

      "I'm very sorry to hear about what transpired," Juarez said.
      "I pray for him and his family during these tough times, and I don't
      know what effect it will have on his position on the council."

      This is the second time Guidi has faced an investigation by
      the DA's Public Integrity Division. In 2005, his relationship with a
      towing company doing business in the city was questioned. Guidi, his
      relatives and co-worker Louis Velez - whom he helped get elected to the
      City Council - obtained vehicles at below-market prices from S&W Towing Co., which was the city's police towing service.

      Velez was Guidi's ally on the council and his co-worker at the
      school district. He was removed from the council in 2008, after he
      pleaded guilty to a felony conflict-of-interest charge for voting on
      city development projects that were proposed by his landlord."
      Brent

      To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
      From: jimbokat@...
      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:58:34 -0700
      Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Guidi resigns from Hawthorne School District

      Remember He ( Guidi ) just got reelected last year. Theve can appoint someone or do it all over again.. but that takes money.

      From: Katheryne Koelker <flyingbug@...>

      To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 2:58 PM

      We'll have to see how the court case goes--if Guidi's convicted,

      who becomes Mayor? And will it be on an interim basis or to serve out the rest

      of the term?

      Katheryne

      �If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a

      merrier world.�--J.R.R. Tolkein

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 5:35 PM
        They have Larry on tape taking the mixer. Louis Velez just works for the school district, he's not elected.If Larry is convicted on a felony he'll have to step down. He also can't run for office anymore then, like Louis can't.

        From: jimbokat@...
        Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:58:34 -0700

        From: Katheryne Koelker <flyingbug@...>

        To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 12:32 PM
          I think Mayor Guidi has done a great job for Hawthorne and I would vote for him again (were it come to that). I think it was a set-up or a frame - or perhaps the mixer was in the stack to go to the dumpster and he thought - "Oh, I could use that!" which isn't stealing... in any case - since it was old and used and only worth one-tenth of it's original price then it shouldn't be a felony - you shouldn't be able charge a person for the new replacement value when you're talking about an old machine. I believe Larry has integrity and has Hawthorne's best interests in his heart.

          Sue Moret

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 2:49 PM
            Brent,

            Unfortunately, where there's smoke there's fire. I hold no one guilty
            until proven so and I think in this case that the mayor just went about it
            in an unfortunate way. Yeah, I think he did something wrong although in his
            eyes probably not. Taking something that isn't yours, unless in a trash
            can, is stealing.

            I hope that you are right, that there's "an untold side of the story."
            Louis V. is unimportant to this story. It all comes down to what was done
            and what is legal; don't think it matters who ratted him out. I would like
            to believe his intentions were pure. We'll wait and see, yeah?