FW: Census Warning

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22 9:58 PM
      Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:30:21 -0700
      From: jimbokat@...
      Subject: Fwd: FW: Census Warning
      To: ach395@...; brentamorgan@...; hapcat@...; dradek@...; flradek@...; GaPtv@...; guyloehr@...; hltrike@...; jmmckane@...; SDU36@...; legalmind99l@...; Jennpisani@...; jsmazzotta@...; richardandannell@...; higush@...; kaschall@...; uniquecandle4u@...; huhi3139@...; lfreebody@...; familyof1531@...; cshell_48@...; qpositive88@...; renatehild@...; shanna58@...; satain@...; hotchilidawg@...; TedMar123@...

      --- On Sun, 9/20/09, Rmiller536@... <Rmiller536@...> wrote:

      From: Rmiller536@... <Rmiller536@...>
      To: opmbob@..., jimbokat@..., buford35@...
      Date: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 8:20 PM

      From: hill754@...
      To: nicksauto@...
      Sent: 9/19/2009 8:20:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
      Subj: FW: Census Warning

      Subject: Fw: Census Warning

      This is common sense but a good reminder that we can share with others.

      This warning is for ALL citizens, so you may want to pass it on to everyone you know.

      2010 Census Cautions:

      With the U.S. Census process beginning, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises people to be cooperative, but cautious, so as not to become a victim of fraud or identity theft. The first phase of the 2010 U.S. Census is under way as workers have begun verifying the addresses of households across the country. Eventually, more than 140,000 U.S. Census workers will count every person in the United States and will gather information about every person living at each address including name, age, gender, race, and other data. The big question is - how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con artist? BBB offers the following advice:

      ** If a U.S. Census worker knocks on your door, they will have a badge, a handheld device, a Census Bureau canvas bag, and a confidentiality notice. Ask to see their identification and their badge before answering their questions. However, you should never invite anyone you don't know into your home.

      ** Census workers are currently only knocking on doors to verify address information. Do not give your Social Security number, credit card or banking information to anyone, even if they claim they need it for the U.S. Census. While the Census Bureau might ask for basic financial information, such as a salary range, it will not ask for Social Security, bank account, or credit card numbers, nor will employees solicit donations.

      Eventually, Census workers may contact you by telephone, mail, or in person at home. However, they will not contact you by Email, so be on the lookout for Email scams impersonating the Census.

      Never click on a link or open any attachments in an Email that are supposedly from the U.S. Census Bureau.

      For more advice on avoiding identity theft and fraud, visit www.bbb.

    • thequeenbee_99
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24 4:04 AM
        --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the info
        >

        > Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:30:21 -0700
        > From: jimbokat@...
        > Subject: Fwd: FW: Census Warning
        > To: ach395@...; brentamorgan@...; hapcat@...; dradek@...; flradek@...; GaPtv@...; guyloehr@...; hltrike@...; jmmckane@...; SDU36@...; legalmind99l@...; Jennpisani@...; jsmazzotta@...; richardandannell@...; higush@...; kaschall@...; uniquecandle4u@...; huhi3139@...; lfreebody@...; familyof1531@...; cshell_48@...; qpositive88@...; renatehild@...; shanna58@...; satain@...; hotchilidawg@...; TedMar123@...

      • Alice
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26 5:24 PM
          I worked for the 2010 Census during the "Address Verification" Phase
          which was completed in May 2009. The next phase of the "Census is the
          Group Quarters Validation" phase. If you do not live in, nor operate, a
          group quarters, you should not be contacted during this phase by the
          2010 Census Team.

          However, the 2010 Census is an ongoing operation, and future phases may
          include some public interaction. The general safety procedure
          information given here is good. Just remember that future phases may
          not carry the same equipment as the Address Verification Phase (the
          "Hand Held Device" mentioned were used for Address Verification only,
          and will not be used again). However, 2010 Census workers will
          absolutely be required to wear Valid Identification above waist level,
          and hand out "Confidentiality Notices" to the people they speak to.
          People in the streets wear badges with no picture they have either blue
          or red print with the Department of Commerce logo on them and the
          person's name.
          There are other departments of the Census that operate outside the
          Deciennial Census. As such, these departments are continuing operations
          during the Decennial Census, and may contact you for their research. I
          am not familiar with the details of these operations.

          I would be very wary of any Census contact made by telephone without
          prior contact in some other manner. They know that you have no way to
          verify their identity on the telephone, and informational privacy is one
          of the number one rules of the Census.

          David Russ