Re: [BodgerPark] Another robbery

  • tony_models@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2009
      and another burglary...this time on Kornblum /147.
      This time, the house next door was target and to get in they also broke a front window. This apparently happened, mid-week during morning hours .
      Is time , to re-enforce our " neighborhood watch ", please keep an eye for suspicious people around Bodger-Park, and keep handy the numbers for the Hawthorne Police Department, they usually have a good response time for this kind of calls.

      Tony B.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2009
        I live over on 146th Street (not far from Greg and Penny).  I notice that we have quite a few dogs on our block.  I think some think the dogs are just barking at the raccoons or squirrels or other dogs in the area.

        How do you go about trying to explain to the people you live with that, just because you have a "Beware of Dog" sign on your gate or front screen, it doesn't necessarily mean that the burglars necessarily READ it?  And that leaving a door open--even if one is gone for just a few minutes--is a bad idea?

        Katie

        ________________________________
        and another burglary...this time on Kornblum /147.
        This time, the house next door was target and to get in they also broke a front window. This apparently happened, mid-week during morning hours .
        Is time , to re-enforce our " neighborhood watch ", please keep an eye for suspicious people around Bodger-Park, and keep handy the numbers for the Hawthorne Police Department, they usually have a good response time for this kind of calls.

        Tony B.

        >A first for us and we've lived here nearly 30 years -- we were broken into tonight between 5:30 and 8:30 PM.  Took a screen off and crawled in a front window.  Mostly electronics taken.  Nothing that can't be replaced, so we're very thankful.

        >But it does seem that burglaries are on the increase in this area.  Maybe the recession is making more people desperate ?!?

        >So, everyone please keep your eyes and ears open.

        >Penny and Greg on 146th street

      • Laura Judson
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2009
          So this is four break ins in the last few weeks? Do I have the count right?
          Yet, I haven't seen a single Hawthorne Police car in the neighborhood
          in months. I would think stepping up patrols in the area would be a
          logical course the police department would take. Is there anything we
          can do to make that happen?

          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2009
            I've seen parking enforcement on street-sweeping days, and a police cruiser along Rosecrans on occasion.  I do see a helicopter (possibly the Sheriff's Dept.) in the air in the afternoons when I'm walking home from work.  Don't know if they see our area or if they're checking someplace else.

            Perhaps a call to HPD would be useful?

            Katie

            ________________________________

            tony_models@ earthlink. net<tony_models@ earthlink. net> wrote:

            > and another burglary...this time on Kornblum /147.
            > This time, the house next door was target and to get in they also broke a
            > front window. This apparently happened, mid-week during morning hours .
            > Is time , to re-enforce our " neighborhood watch ", please keep an eye for
            > suspicious people around Bodger-Park, and keep handy the numbers for the
            > Hawthorne Police Department, they usually have a good response time for this
            > kind of calls.
            >
            > Tony B.

          • Penny R
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31, 2009
              When I mentioned to the officers who took our crime report that there seemed to be an increase in burglaries in our neighborhood, he said that the best thing that we could all do was to call in immediately if unknown vehicles or people seem to be hanging around. He said people tend to be afraid to call those in -- thinking they'll be embarrassed if it turns out those people have legitimate reasons to be around. Especially now that the school year is almost over and there soon could be be more loiterers, let's be more vigilant and not be afraid to call the police.

              Thanks,
              Penny

              --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Laura Judson <rottbot@...> wrote:

              > So this is four break ins in the last few weeks? Do I have the count right?
              > Yet, I haven't seen a single Hawthorne Police car in the neighborhood
              > in months. I would think stepping up patrols in the area would be a
              > logical course the police department would take. Is there anything we
              > can do to make that happen?
              >
              > On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM,
              > tony_models@...<tony_models@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > and another burglary...this time on Kornblum /147.
              > > This time, the house next door was target and to get in they also broke a
              > > front window. This apparently happened, mid-week during morning hours .
              > > Is time , to re-enforce our " neighborhood watch ", please keep an eye for
              > > suspicious people around Bodger-Park, and keep handy the numbers for the
              > > Hawthorne Police Department, they usually have a good response time for this
              > > kind of calls.
              > >
              > > Tony B.

            • cannon_90250
              Message 6 of 15 , May 31, 2009
                Horrible news. Does anyone know if other neighborhoods in the area are seeing an increase in break-ins, or is it just Bodger Park?
              • msuchar
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                  We really need to look out for each other more than ever. A few of my neighbors are fairly diligent in keeping an eye out but unfortunately most seem obliviously unaware of what is taking place around them; staying in there homes and making no attempt to know who there neighbors are. When I moved in almost ten years ago there was a man that lived across the street from us; he never spoke or raised a hand to say hi for over a year; so I was surprised one day when he showed up at my door to introduce himself after which he started asking if I had seen anyone or anything unusual around his house in the past few days (he was out of town). Apparently he had been robbed; I was happy to meet him but not under the circumstances. Come on folks is it really a big deal to take a plate of cookies over to a neighbor and introduce your self and discuss the concerns of the neighborhood. Based on the attendance at the Bodger Park home owners meetings and the limited number of people who use this forum I'd venture a guess and say that most people living in Bodger Park are probably not aware of what takes place in the neighborhood and maybe even next door. I hope everyone would be encouraged to meet their neighbors.

                  Know what activity is right or wrong and call the police! I'm not afraid to call the police every time I see something that's out of the ordinary or unnecessary activity. These high school "kids" that stop and sit on the curb or someone's wall may look innocent but it may be they are casing the homes. Call me paranoid but I think some of these "solicitors" that roam our neighborhood are casing our homes; you'd be wise to put these people on notice that you are well aware of there presence in the neighborhood and they are being watched; especially when they come around late in the evening when it starts getting dark or during the middle of the afternoon on a weekday when most people are working. I just wonder if there is a correlation between robberies occurring a few weeks after "solicitors" come through the neighborhood. I thought I heard that in order to do any type of solicitation in Hawthorne, you had to get some type of permit. I usually ask the alleged solicitor to see their city permit; some have actually had one and others either say I lost it or flat out I don't have one. Any way I think we should clarify this with the city.

                  Let's keep everyone in prayer.

                  God Bless.
                • Gweneth Mingo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                    The burglaries must be on the increase. I live on the 14900 block of Kornblum Ave, and like you my house was broken into on Friday morning between 8:00am and 11:00am. Same as yours. Took the screen off the front window and crawled in. Jewelry is all that was taken. We all must be more vigilant, and the Hawthorne police must be pressed to have more presense in our neighbourhood.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                      I'm sure the police are already on it. Just to make sure, I've emailed the Mayor.

                      Periodically, a group of thieves will discover Bodger Park and make a run through a number of houses. Our best chance of catching the thieves is to be alert to strangers and odd behavior.

                      Brent

                      To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
                      From: glmingo@...
                      Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:59:16 -0700

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Thank you Brent - always count on you.  Question for you on becoming a member, I have a neighbor who is interested, what do they do.

                        Chris Call, Assistant to
                        THOMAS M. POLINGER, ESQ.

                        Law Office of Thomas M. Polinger
                        555 Pier Avenue, Suite 4
                        Hermosa Beach, California  90254-3800
                        Phone:  310-372-4636
                        Fax:      310-376-3531

                        To: BodgerPark@yahoogro ups.com
                        From: glmingo@sbcglobal. net
                        Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:59:16 -0700

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                          There's no formal membership process right now.

                          The best thing to do is to join this email list and look for meeting notices on email and on the doorstep.

                          Pat Hachiya was our primary organizing force (Thank you Pat!), but she has a new baby, so we can't fairly ask her to continue when her family needs her.

                          Brent

                          To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com

                          From: Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...>

                          To: bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com

                          Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 12:33 PM

                          To: BodgerPark@yahoogro ups.com

                          From: glmingo@sbcglobal. net

                          Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:59:16 -0700

                          From: Penny Ross <onecentcoin2@ yahoo.com>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                            Brent.....your the best !!! Thank you Hig on Doty.

                            On Jun 1, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Brent Morgan wrote:

                            > I'm sure the police are already on it. Just to make sure, I've
                            > emailed the Mayor.
                            >
                            > Periodically, a group of thieves will discover Bodger Park and make
                            > a run through a number of houses. Our best chance of catching the
                            > thieves is to be alert to strangers and odd behavior.
                            >
                            > Brent
                            >
                            > To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: glmingo@...
                            > Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:59:16 -0700
                            > Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Another robbery
                            >
                            > The burglaries must be on the increase. I live on the 14900 block
                            > of Kornblum Ave, and like you my house was broken into on Friday
                            > morning between 8:00am and 11:00am. Same as yours. Took the screen
                            > off the front window and crawled in. Jewelry is all that was taken.
                            > We all must be more vigilant, and the Hawthorne police must be
                            > pressed to have more presense in our neighbourhood.
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                            Higush Dear
                            higush@...
                            Dominium Management Corp.
                            9629 Brighton Way
                            Beverly Hills, California 90210
                            (310) 275-9700, ext. 215
                            (310) 274-1268, Fax

                          • Alene Gardner
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
                              Penny, I am so sorry to hear about your robbery. How brazen to just crawl into a front window!!!

                              Such a shame that none of the neighbors saw them. We all really need to get out and patrol our streets and see what is going on.

                              alene

                              Alene Gardner

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
                                I agree, I would be in for that.  I work but I would make myself available.  Letting these people know that its not ok to violate our properties, our homes, what we all work so hard for.