Hawthorne, ex-secretary to settle suit

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2009
      Hawthorne, ex-secretary to settle suitCLAIMS: The former city worker cited age, racial discrimination in job elimination. By Sandy Mazza, Staff WriterPosted: 01/22/2009 10:55:35 PM PST

      A former secretary for the city of Hawthorne will receive $135,000 to
      settle a lawsuit in which she alleged discrimination and unfair
      termination, the City Council decided on Thursday. Rose McKinney sued the city after her position as a
      secretary for the Planning and Community Development Department was
      eliminated in May 2006. She said she was discriminated against for
      being a 51-year-old black female. "I was trying to bring light to the injustices to the black
      employees at the city of Hawthorne," McKinney said on Thursday, after
      learning that the settlement was accepted by the city. "I really hope
      it's helped other employees at the city." The settlement, which had been proposed by the city
      attorney, was approved on a 3-0 council vote in a special meeting
      Thursday afternoon. Councilmen Danny Juarez and Gary Parsons were
      absent from the meeting. McKinney still must formally accept the settlement and file the paperwork necessary before it becomes final.

      In
      the lawsuit, which had been scheduled to go to trial this week,
      McKinney said she experienced discrimination when Harold Roth became
      director of the Planning and Community Development Department in 2005. "He tried to transfer me out, loan me to other departments,
      offer an early retirement package or whatever else he could do to not
      work with me," McKinney said in court documents. McKinney claimed that Roth did not say "good morning" to her, and once yelledat her at work.

      According
      to the city, Roth did not believe the Planning Department needed a
      secretary because the planners could do their own typing, copying and
      other secretarial duties, court documents state. "Ms. McKinney has never provided any evidence that she was
      treated differently than anyone else based upon her race, age or
      gender," a court document filed by the city states. "The city made reasonable efforts to find other work for
      (McKinney) that would have allowed her to remain employed with the
      city. (McKinney), for reasons of her own, did not cooperate (with
      efforts to transfer her to other departments). There were no other
      options for keeping (McKinney) employed and occupied." sandy.mazza@...