Trash Service Fee Increase....?

  • msuchar
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7 12:02 PM
      Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I thought our trash service
      contract was supposed to remain unchanged from the previous contract. I
      received two letters from Allied Waste Service stating that our
      services and fees would not change. I received my bill this weekend and
      it's $34.70, $1.70 more than the what I used to pay, $33.00. Did anyone
      else notice this increase? Also, they are billing two months in advance
      of the service when the previous contract billed two months after. I
      called Allied's "customer service" 1-888-742-5234. they were of
      absolutely no help and did not seemed concerned and said I would have
      to call the city. Now, $1.70 is not much on an individual basis, but
      $1.70 x how many homes in Hawthorne.... Who do we need to talk with to
      get cleariication on this?
    • Chris Call

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7 8:36 PM
          I received a very nice reply from Jag, our City manager, on this one,
          which I've copied below.

          Brent,
          Prior to Allied taking over the residential trash collections in the
          City, the residents were billed by either ACS at $16.50 a month or
          CalWater at $17.35 a month. The Cal Water trash billing was higher by
          $0.85 because they added on a small billing fee to each bill.

          As part of Allied taking over, the City set the rates throughout the
          City at $17.35. This is why the new bills are $17.35 per month or
          $34.70 for the two month period. For the residents who previously were
          billed by ACS will incur $1.70 per month increase. The $1.70 increase
          equates to about 5%; if the City had continued with H & C then it was
          very likely there would have been a rate increase before July 2007. By
          switching companies the inevitable increase happened a couple of
          months ahead of schedule.

          Also you should note that prior to Allied taking over residents were
          billed in advance every two months, Allied will continue the same
          billing cycle -so no changes there.

          I apologize that Allied were of no help to the caller, that is very
          different from what we have heard from other residents.

          Please fell free to contact me if you have any other issues.

          Jag Pathirana
          City Manager
          City of Hawthorne
          (310) 349-2910

          --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "msuchar" <msuchar@...> wrote:

          > Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I thought our trash service
          > contract was supposed to remain unchanged from the previous contract. I
          > received two letters from Allied Waste Service stating that our
          > services and fees would not change. I received my bill this weekend and
          > it's $34.70, $1.70 more than the what I used to pay, $33.00. Did anyone
          > else notice this increase? Also, they are billing two months in advance
          > of the service when the previous contract billed two months after. I
          > called Allied's "customer service" 1-888-742-5234. they were of
          > absolutely no help and did not seemed concerned and said I would have
          > to call the city. Now, $1.70 is not much on an individual basis, but
          > $1.70 x how many homes in Hawthorne.... Who do we need to talk with to
          > get cleariication on this?

        • poyliojh
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8 9:13 AM
            I just noticed it this morning while driving to work. It touched a
            nerve with me, too -- I wish I'd been able to apprehend whoever
            destroyed the port-a-potty.

            James on Fonthill

            --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...>