late night scavengers

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2004
      ok, saw the scavengers on my street for the first time last night at about 10:40. Red ( I think) truck with running lights. Why exactally is this so bad? Hawthorne has continually been negligant with their proportion of recycling according to state mandates. Perhaps they are city or state mandates. I don't know. Anyhoo, I really don't see a problem with people trying to get by taking my recyclables. As long as they don't make a mess. I know that our city has been under the gun about this, but I really believe there is plenty to go around. After all, the city/state mandate is only a certain percentage and thanks to the new trash cans, I believe we can go WAY over this and therefore not be charged or penalized by the powers that be. Mayhaps I am being too lenient. Whadda ya think?
    • katzz4me@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2004
        In a message dated 3/25/2004 7:50:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        loca107.1@... writes:
        saw the scavengers on my street for the first time last night at about 10:40.
        Red ( I think) truck with running lights. Why exactally is this so bad?
        Hawthorne has continually been negligant with their proportion of recycling
        according to state mandates. Perhaps they are city or state mandates. I don't
        know. Anyhoo, I really don't see a problem with people trying to get by taking
        my recyclables. As long as they don't make a mess. I know that our city has
        been under the gun about this, but I really believe there is plenty to go
        around. After all, the city/state mandate is only a certain percentage and thanks
        to the new trash cans, I believe we can go WAY over this and therefore not be
        charged or penalized by the powers that be. Mayhaps I am being too lenient.
        Whadda ya think?

        I agree with you..... I would rather see the speeders and the dozens of
        apartment dwellers that park in our track evicted!! As long as there is no
        mess.... go fffffffor the recyclables.

      • flowerfairy62
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004
          -Well I disagree!!!
          I think we have enough people roaming around this neighborhood who
          have no buiness being over here (apartment dweller). Every little
          sound I hear I have to jump up and wonder who's outside my place.
          These "recyclers" you want to call them are really just "bums" who
          are on to us having recycle and will start out smarting each other
          and trying to get to it earlier then trash day when the bins are out
          on the curbs and be up on our properties going through them.
          I don't want to see it happen!!!
          Keep the bums/homeless out on the blvd where the cops can keep an
          eye on them!!!! Not near my house!!!!!!

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004
            In a message dated 3/26/2004 4:27:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            flowerfairy62@... writes:
            I think we have enough people roaming around this neighborhood who
            Have no buiness being over here (apartment dweller). Every little
            sound I hear I have to jump up and wonder who's outside my place.
            Your right..I just feel sorry for the people who have nothing..... BUT the
            dwellers across Rosecrans they have to go.

          • Brent
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004
              I've been following the discussion on scavengers, and I had the
              opportunity to raise the issue at City Hall today during a previously
              scheduled meeting with the City Manager and Councilman Parsons.

              It turns out that there is a City Ordinance against this activity.

              Furthermore, the City's trash contract is negotiated with H&C with
              the expectation that H&C will use the revenue stream from recycled
              materials to offset the disposal costs of the non-recyclables. If
              the CA redemption plastic and aluminum containers are removed from
              the recycle bins, then H&C has less revenue to offset trash costs,
              and trash fees will be higher.

              Let's not make this a top issue at this time - parking in N Bodger,
              boulevard stops on 147t/Doty, and the old Vons site are more
              important in my opinion.

              Enjoy the weekend.

              See you on Monday evening! The meeting is at the KIT CARSON SCHOOL
              CAFETERIA NEAR 147th AND YUKON.

              Brent
            • Aron Levinson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 26, 2004