RE: [BodgerPark] Re: Tree project for Bodger Park

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2007
      The City told me that the trees along Marine were getting their roots into the sewer line. There's a five year project to remove them. They started with the ones at the corner due to the added problems that they give to driver visibility.To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.comFrom: loca107.1@...: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:50:50 -0800Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Re: Tree project for Bodger Park

      Hi Brent,

      Somehow I still haven't had my question answered. Does anyone know WHY
      the trees at Bodger and Marine were cut down? I'm just really curious. K

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2007
        Brent, so are you saying that they are gonna take them ALL down? K

        On 1/30/07, Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...> wrote:

        > The City told me that the trees along Marine were getting their roots into
        > the sewer line. There's a five year project to remove them. They started
        > with the ones at the corner due to the added problems that they give to
        > driver visibility.To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.comFrom:
        > loca107.1@...: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:50:50 -0800Subject: Re:
        > [BodgerPark] Re: Tree project for Bodger Park

        > Hi Brent,
        >
        > Somehow I still haven't had my question answered. Does anyone know WHY
        > the trees at Bodger and Marine were cut down? I'm just really curious. K
        >
        > On 1/25/07, Brent <brentamorgan@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > When I think of oaks I think of how majestic Pasadena looks with its
        > > oak-lined streets.
        > >
        > > Are there any other tree opinions out there?
        > >
        > > Undergrounding utilities costs a lot of money. Manhattan Beach is
        > > assessing something like $30k per household to do it in some
        > > neighborhoods. I think that chances of going underground are slim.
        > >

        > > Brent
        > >
        > > --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "poyliojh" <poyliojh@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I really do like the old ficus trees, and would like to see them
        > > > stay. But I understand they're aging, dropping limbs, and
        > > > interfering with sewer lines. In light of this, their eventual
        > > > removal seems inevitable. I'd like to voice my support for replacing
        > > > the trees with oaks or sycamores, when the time comes. This would
        > > > also be a great opportunity to put better landscaping along the
        > > > Marine and Prairie frontage roads, replacing the asphalt and
        > > > timbers.
        > > > Tree removal may also present a chance to relocate the power lines
        > > > that run along Marine Avenue, perhaps to bury them. This way, the
        > > > new trees wouldn't have to be lopped off at the top to clear the
        > > > lines, as the Marine Avenue trees are now, and we'd be rid of all the
        > > > old utility poles.
        > > >
        > > > James

        > > > very
        > > > black,
        > > > beautiful landscaping
        > > > on Prairie
        > > > Avenue which is
        > > > into the
        > > > Bodger Park? Lory

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 30, 2007
          --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Parker" <loca107.1@...> wrote:

          > Brent, so are you saying that they are gonna take them ALL down? K

          You must have missed my previous email (copied below).

          I think we should take the city up on their offer to replace with oak
          trees. -B

          ---
          previous email:

          Ficus tree roots along Marine are entering the City sewer system.
          (The ficus or fig trees are the large evergreen trees that border
          Prairie and Marine avenues.) 30 or 40 houses could back up as a
          result of root intrusion. Consequently, the City will remove about
          four trees in the week of 22 January. Trees to be removed are at the
          corner of Yukon and Marine, Fonthill and Marine, Gherkin and Marine,
          and Bodger Ave and Marine. The City's plans call for more trees to be
          removed each year along Marine Ave. Replacement plans call for
          Camphor trees (the same as the replacement trees already used along
          Prairie), but the City indicated a willingness to use California
          oak (evergreen) or Sycamore (deciduous) trees if we wanted to go that
          route instead.

          Last year we had several large limbs fall from ficus trees along
          Prairie. As a result, some trees were removed due to hazard and ill
          health and the remaining trees were pruned heavily. The City hopes
          that the pruning will delay those trees' eventual replacement. They
          may also be located farther from the City sewer lines, making
          replacement less urgent.
        • Kevin Schaaf
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 30, 2007
            We agree with Brent that we should encourage the city to replace the trees
            with the oaks. Oak trees are native to this area, so our understanding is
            that they would be likely to thrive. Also, it would be nice to return some
            little part of our paved over paradise back to its native state.

            Kevin & Phuong

            <TABLE align=center>
            <P>
            <P>
            <TBODY></TBODY></P></TABLE></DIV></html>

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2007