Police Cancel Call for Service From Bodger Park Resident.....

  • msuchar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      I heard something interesting last night on the police radio that
      I'd like to share with my fellow Bodger Park neighbors and get some
      feedback on. Here's what I heard as best as I can remember:

      Last night, between 12:20 and 12:40, the police broadcast a radio call
      regarding a Bodger Park resident, located in the 14600 block of either
      Bodger Ave. or Fonthill Ave. near Doty, who called the police to report
      some suspicious activity that was taking place near that resident's
      home. Apparently there were a lot of car doors being opened and slammed
      closed and people talking loud or shouting. (As a side note, the radio
      calls dispatched don't always reflect what the person calling
      originally reported, information and details mysteriously get lost some
      where). Just seconds after the responsible patrol car acknowledged the
      call, a shift sergeant came on the radio and said to "10-22"
      (cancel / disregard) the call with no reason or explanation of any kind,
      just cancel the call.

      Now I'm curious, did the police call the resident back to tell them
      that their call had been canceled and if so, why? Probably not; the
      resident was probably waiting and wondering when the police were going
      to show up to investigate their concern. Another FACT to consider is
      that HPD, at the time of the call last night, didn't have any
      `hot" calls they were dealing with; in fact it seemed quiet for
      a change. So then what is the rational for simply canceling a call for
      service, from an agency I think we help fund, from a concerned resident
      who made the call because there was something suspicious occurring? The
      police were not busy at the time, did the sergeant feel the call
      wasn't worth the effort because it was a robbery in progress, gang
      fight or some other "hot" call. It would seem to have been a
      great opportunity for the police to show a little interest in Bodger
      Park and since they would have been in the area to investigate the call,
      it would have been a perfect time for the police to do one of those
      random patrols of OUR neighborhood that we seem to be deprived of. As I
      see it/heard it, there was no reason the police couldn't have at
      least made a quick patrol of the area. This is not the first time I have
      heard this type of thing happen; I'm sure there are cases where
      simply canceling a call for service is justified but not last night;
      that was just blatantly un-service oriented non-policing. Just because
      we supposedly have "less" crime in Bodger Park than other areas
      of Hawthorne doesn't mean we deserve less policing. This whole
      "tell `em what they want to hear and they'll be quiet for a
      while" business from the city is getting old. WE should demand equal
      service and consideration from the city.

      This is something WE need to address at OUR next association meeting.
      Which is when…?

      I'm sure I have forgotten something, but I just frustrated with the
      whole situation. I'm sure I'll think of more to say at a later
      time.

    • Chris Call
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
        Well, this is good information, I have to agree with you, why was it cancelled, if there was a call placed then it should have been attended to. Whether it was important enough for the police or not. That just isn't right.

        They should patrol our area more, especially since we are some of the Hawthorne residents that pay their salaries.

        I would like to know more information. I also agree with you about telling them what they want to hear and we'll be happy, I personally would like to see more action being taken.

        Chris (Kornblum & Marine)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
          msuchar, are you sure of the time? There was a water-main break on Fonthill
          that happened on Friday. Unfortunately they didn't get here to fix it until
          last night. Then they did the clean up. There were guys with trucks
          scraping up the mud with shovels (very loud) and then a water truck came by
          *several* times to wash away the mud. However, they were done by 11 pm.
          Could this have possibly been the noise that the homeowner heard? I can't
          imagine car thieves slamming doors. Just a thought, K

          On 1/23/07, msuchar <msuchar@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > see it/heard it, there was no reason the police couldn't have at
          > least made a quick patrol of the area. This is not the first time I have
          > heard this type of thing happen; I'm sure there are cases where
          > simply canceling a call for service is justified but not last night;
          > that was just blatantly un-service oriented non-policing. Just because
          > we supposedly have "less" crime in Bodger Park than other areas
          > of Hawthorne doesn't mean we deserve less policing. This whole
          > "tell `em what they want to hear and they'll be quiet for a
          > while" business from the city is getting old. WE should demand equal
          > service and consideration from the city.
          >
          > This is something WE need to address at OUR next association meeting.
          > Which is when�?
          >
          > I'm sure I have forgotten something, but I just frustrated with the
          > whole situation. I'm sure I'll think of more to say at a later

        • Brent
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2 10:35 PM
            I've forwarded this to the Mayor and asked him to look into it.

            Brent