Re: Large Vehicle Parking Enforcement to begin

  • oshirofamily
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 14, 2006
      Sue,

      Those were some very harsh words for a fellow Bodger Park resident.
      Hopefully you don't ever need any help from them. I know I wouldn't
      give you the time of day if you blasted me like that on the web board.
    • a a
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 16, 2006
        No, I disagree.

        There again, to back up Sue's point....it only hurts when it hits "your home".
        Well this has apparently hit "her home".

        I had a big problem with my neighbors blasting out music out in their
        backyard every weekend while splashing and screaming loudly in their
        pool...............this was a big problem for "me". But of course it did not
        bother anyone else in the area because the windows of their living room
        were not in direct line with my neighbors!!!!!!!!!! So that never became a
        Bodger Park issue..... but it still bothered me.

        I wish then that I'd had someone to feel my pain and explain so well that
        the "rules" apply to "everyone" and "all the time"!!!! Rules are usually made
        by a majority vote, so if most everyone feels the same way it must be a
        problem!!!

        I commend Sue for being vocal and driving home the point to "Obey the Rules".
        All the rules....not just the ones that are easy for you!!!!

        April

        oshirofamily <oshirofamily@...> wrote:
        Sue,

        Those were some very harsh words for a fellow Bodger Park resident.
        Hopefully you don't ever need any help from them. I know I wouldn't
        give you the time of day if you blasted me like that on the web board.

      • cannon_90250
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 16, 2006
          I think the Oshiro family's reply concerned the wording of Sue's
          posts rather than the basic concept behind what she was attempting
          to express.

          That said, I think the original question was valid in that there
          could be exceptions. For instance, there are "no parking" signs
          regarding street sweeping but, when I called the city about having a
          dumpster parked curbside during a recent remodeling project, I was
          told that, as long as I paid for a permit and used one of the city's
          approved waste management companies, there would be no penalty.

          --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, a a <flowerfairy62@...> wrote:

          > No, I disagree.
          >
          > There again, to back up Sue's point....it only hurts when it
          hits "your home".
          > Well this has apparently hit "her home".
          >
          > I had a big problem with my neighbors blasting out music out in
          their
          > backyard every weekend while splashing and screaming loudly in
          their
          > pool...............this was a big problem for "me". But of
          course it did not
          > bother anyone else in the area because the windows of their
          living room
          > were not in direct line with my neighbors!!!!!!!!!! So that
          never became a
          > Bodger Park issue..... but it still bothered me.
          >
          > I wish then that I'd had someone to feel my pain and explain so
          well that
          > the "rules" apply to "everyone" and "all the time"!!!! Rules
          are usually made
          > by a majority vote, so if most everyone feels the same way it
          must be a
          > problem!!!
          >
          > I commend Sue for being vocal and driving home the point
          to "Obey the Rules".
          > All the rules....not just the ones that are easy for you!!!!
          >
          > April
          >
          > oshirofamily <oshirofamily@...> wrote:
          > Sue,
          >
          > Those were some very harsh words for a fellow Bodger Park
          resident.
          > Hopefully you don't ever need any help from them. I know I wouldn't
          > give you the time of day if you blasted me like that on the web
          board.

        • Alice
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 17, 2006
            Sue Moret wrote:

            > This is (in part) why I resigned the BPNA; what part of "NO Parking
            > of Commercial Vehicles" do you not understand? I'm sure you and your
            > family are wonderful and friendly people who only break the law 'a
            > few days out of the year'.
            >
            > I live in a residence and drive a personal vehicle that CANNOT make a
            > left turn from Bodger onto 147th St when your commercial trailer and
            > fun truck are parked on the street.
            >
            > There are signs posted now saying what you may and may not do... so I
            > guess you should follow the rules or (I don't know ?) maybe accept
            > the consequences.
            >
            > In BodgerPark@yahoogro ups.com <mailto:BodgerPark%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Alice <alice@...> wrote:
            > Will this affect our parking on Doty between 147th and Bodger? We
            > occasionally have to park our trailer on the street, but usually only
            > a few days out of the year.
            > Russ/Parks family
            >
            > In BodgerPark@yahoogro ups.com <mailto:BodgerPark%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > According to what I've read of the
            > last
            > City Council meeting, parking enforcement for large vehicles (RVs and
            > trailers) will begin immediately.
            > Take a look at the new signs at the entrances to our neighborhood (eg
            > on 147th and Prairie) for the relevant parking restrictions.

            I am offended by your comment. I am sorry that you are too retarded and
            cannot make a turn onto a street. I just asked a question. I realize
            that there are problems with RVs and such that are consistently parked
            on the street, but we do not store our truck nor trailer on the street.
            We own our home and have vehicles that we park on our street. Also,
            just so you know, there are no houses on our section of the street. We
            do not have a problem with other neighbors parking their cars in front
            of our house during street sweeping because the spaces available in
            front of their houses are full. I only asked a question of BPNA, I did
            not expect a rude answer. If you are no longer in the BPNA, then why
            are you reading and responding to these posts? I guess that because you
            are on your soap box then I cannot express my opinion nor ask any
            questions, for fear of rude comments. If you do not like your
            neighborhood...MOVE!!!! We actually enjoy our neighborhood and most of
            our neighbors, except for those neighbors who threaten other neighbors
            and their children.
          • Alice
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 17, 2006

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 17, 2006
                a a wrote:

                > No, I disagree.
                >
                > There again, to back up Sue's point....it only hurts when it hits
                > "your home".
                > Well this has apparently hit "her home".
                >
                > I had a big problem with my neighbors blasting out music out in their
                > backyard every weekend while splashing and screaming loudly in their
                > pool........ .......this was a big problem for "me". But of course it
                > did not
                > bother anyone else in the area because the windows of their living room
                > were not in direct line with my neighbors!!! !!!!!!! So that never
                > became a
                > Bodger Park issue..... but it still bothered me.
                >
                > I wish then that I'd had someone to feel my pain and explain so well that
                > the "rules" apply to "everyone" and "all the time"!!!! Rules are
                > usually made
                > by a majority vote, so if most everyone feels the same way it must be a
                > problem!!!
                >
                > I commend Sue for being vocal and driving home the point to "Obey the
                > Rules".
                > All the rules....not just the ones that are easy for you!!!!
                >
                > April
                >
                > oshirofamily <oshirofamily@ yahoo.com
                > <mailto:oshirofamily%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                > Sue,
                >
                > Those were some very harsh words for a fellow Bodger Park resident.
                > Hopefully you don't ever need any help from them. I know I wouldn't
                > give you the time of day if you blasted me like that on the web board.

                You were also not the family slammed by Sue rude comments.
              • Sue Moret
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 19, 2006
                  Alice,
                  I truly and sincerely apologize for offending you with my post.
                  April (flowerfairy) was correct in responding about
                  something `hitting my sore spot'. I meant to address my message not
                  specifically to your family or home - but to anyone who knows about
                  the law, who reads about the law, and still does not think it applies
                  to them because of whatever circumstance.

                  I had just returned from the Big Saver parking lot where over 15 cars
                  were actually parked - not just idling / driver waiting - in
                  the "Fire Lane/No Parking"; each of whom thought the signs did not
                  apply to them because they were `just' picking up a restaurant "To
                  Go" order or were `just' bringing their dirty clothes to the
                  Laundromat. Thank goodness there was no fire in the complex, but I
                  doubt any if any of the drivers of those cars would have or could
                  have been able to move their cars to make way for emergency vehicles
                  if there was such a case. It simply made me mad that anyone would
                  disregard the law; and then I came home and read your question about
                  whether the no parking law applied to you since you don't often have
                  to park on the street.

                  However, I would like to state that

                  A) Calling people names does not solve anything and is
                  counterproductive to any resolution.

                  B) I am not retarded, but even if I were I don't believe it would
                  make a difference in being able look through a solid object such as a
                  truck parked at the intersection.

                  C) I have lived here and enjoyed my Bodger Park neighbors for 42
                  years so I usually outlast my neighbors rather than move away from
                  them.
                  ------------ --------- --------- ---

                  You were also not the family slammed by Sue rude comments.
                  ----------------

                  ---------------------

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 20, 2006
                    Okay, this is an issue that covers a LOT of ground. First off, I
                    commend Sue for knowing how to spell "apologize." Hard word.

                    Ya know, I personally work with young folks...19 to about 25. I love
                    them to death, but I must say that they don't believe that rules apply to
                    them. I DON'T GET IT, And I'm sorry, when they don't follow the rules, it
                    irritates me.

                    I don't know what the answer is, but I know that Sue is right. In
                    order to have a safe society, we MUST correct the misconceptions of those
                    that think they are alone in this world and don't effect anyone else. They
                    are not above the law.....not necessarialy the law of "police", but the law
                    of compassion.

                    And to the Oshiro family, Sue would b one of the first ones to come to
                    your aid. Mayhaps u shouldn't burn your bridges before u know the structure
                    of them.

                    Sure THIS will get a lot of air play......K

                  • loryinlala@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 23, 2006
                      Sue,
                      Sorry you are not a part of us anymore, miss your presence at BPNA Meetings
                      and your help with minute taking, insight, etc. I agree with you 100%. For
                      years I have been tired of trucks advertising Halloween Costumes and large
                      RV's in the neighborhood. Dangerous to see around maybe, but ugly to look at,
                      for sure.
                      Lory on W. 146th St.

                    • Alice
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 24, 2006
                        I accept your apology and I apologize myself for being harsh. I
                        understand your frustration and concern, however, I did NOT know about
                        the law, nor had I seen the signs. I had actually had enough of the
                        signs after the city decided that our street needed parking
                        enforcement. I was just asking a question about the new law. First
                        off, it is not even my truck, it is my parents truck. Since they do not
                        receive the Bodger Park emails, I figured that I would let them know
                        about the new laws and I wanted to clarify it first. That is all.

                        Kim Parker wrote:

> [...]
                        > > that never became a Bodger Park issue..... but it still bothered me.
                        > >
                        > > I wish then that I'd had someone to feel my pain and explain so well
                        > > that the "rules" apply to "everyone" and "all the time"!!!! Rules are
                        > > usually made by a majority vote, so if most everyone feels the same
                        > > way it must be a problem!!!
                        > >
                        > > I commend Sue for being vocal and driving home the point to "Obey the
                        > > Rules". All the rules....not just the ones that are easy for you!!!!
                        > >
                        > > April
                        > >
                        > > ------------ ---------
                        > > oshirofamily <oshirofamily@ yahoo.com
                        > > <mailto:oshirofamil y%40yahoo. com>> wrote:
                        > > Sue,
                        > >
                        > > Those were some very harsh words for a fellow Bodger Park resident.
                        > > Hopefully you don't ever need any help from them. I know I wouldn't
                        > > give you the time of day if you blasted me like that on the web board.

                      • Alice
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 24, 2006
                          loryinlala@... wrote:

                          > Sue,
                          > Sorry you are not a part of us anymore, miss your presence at BPNA
                          > Meetings
                          > and your help with minute taking, insight, etc. I agree with you 100%.
                          > For
                          > years I have been tired of trucks advertising Halloween Costumes and
                          > large
                          > RV's in the neighborhood. Dangerous to see around maybe, but ugly to
                          > look at,
                          > for sure.
                          > Lory on W. 146th St.

                          I am sorry that you think our truck is ugly. Just for your information,
                          we park it in our driveway 99% of the year, so YOU don't have to look at
                          it's "uglyness." Sometimes, I am annoyed by RVs and other trucks in the
                          neighborhood, but I don't seem to find our truck in the way of anybody
                          99% of the year. Just be glad you don't live across the street from our
                          "ugly" truck. Also, other people don't mind. This is why we own a
                          home, so that we can park our truck in our driveway. We do not park it
                          on the street because we do not want it tagged. Also, for your
                          information, the whole conversation revolved around a question and
                          clarification of the new street signs.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 25, 2006
                            Wowsers, lots of anger here. C'mon folks, I think we all have the same
                            goals here. Can't we just talk about it, and some of us let the little
                            stuff just pass? I'm not crazy about the Halloween truck, but it isn't
                            really all that much of an issue. Then again, I don't live near it, so I
                            don't know how others in the area feel. When I get irritated with something
                            my boss keeps telling me to "pick my battles" and that always makes me think
                            twice about what is REALLY important. We are all in this neighborhood
                            together, we are a team. Okay?

                            On 8/24/06, Alice <alice@...> wrote:

                            > loryinlala@... wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Sue,
                            > > Sorry you are not a part of us anymore, miss your presence at BPNA
                            > > Meetings
                            > > and your help with minute taking, insight, etc. I agree with you 100%.
                            > > For
                            > > years I have been tired of trucks advertising Halloween Costumes and
                            > > large
                            > > RV's in the neighborhood. Dangerous to see around maybe, but ugly to
                            > > look at,
                            > > for sure.
                            > > Lory on W. 146th St.

                            > 8/22/2006
                            > >
                            > I am sorry that you think our truck is ugly. Just for your information,
                            > we park it in our driveway 99% of the year, so YOU don't have to look at
                            > it's "uglyness." Sometimes, I am annoyed by RVs and other trucks in the
                            > neighborhood, but I don't seem to find our truck in the way of anybody
                            > 99% of the year. Just be glad you don't live across the street from our
                            > "ugly" truck. Also, other people don't mind. This is why we own a
                            > home, so that we can park our truck in our driveway. We do not park it
                            > on the street because we do not want it tagged. Also, for your
                            > information, the whole conversation revolved around a question and
                            > clarification of the new street signs.

                          • (no author)
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 27, 2006
                              I think the timing is too close to Chief Port's departure for it to be
                              related to that issue. Otherwise, I've no idea what this is about.
                              -Brent

                              Today is Sunday, August 27, 2006
                              Originally published Friday, August 25, 2006
                              Updated Friday, August 25, 2006

                              Hawthorne officials called by criminal grand jury
                              Mayor Larry Guidi is among those who testify. The investigation's
                              focus hasn't been revealed, and some witnesses said they had no idea
                              why they were being called.

                              ยป City picks interim police chief
                              By Doug Irving
                              Daily Breeze

                              Hawthorne's mayor and other top officials have been called to testify
                              before a criminal grand jury as part of a secret investigation by the
                              District Attorney's Office.

                              Mayor Larry Guidi spent more than an hour Thursday answering questions
                              under oath in a closed meeting of the grand jury. He was to be
                              followed by the rest of the City Council and some current and former
                              city staffers -- including a recently retired city manager who was
                              ordered back from Utah.

                              Attorneys with the District Attorney's Office would not discuss the
                              scope or focus of their investigation. The Hawthorne officials called
                              before the grand jury were instructed not to discuss their testimony
                              with anyone.

                              The hearings lasted through the day Thursday and were scheduled to
                              resume this morning. The district attorney's Public Integrity
                              Division, which investigates criminal misconduct by public officials,
                              was in charge of the questioning.

                              The division's acting head deputy, Jennifer Snyder, told the Hawthorne
                              officials they were going before an investigative grand jury called to
                              gather facts. It was not the kind of grand jury that weighs evidence
                              and decides whether to issue criminal indictments.

                              An investigative grand jury has "no target; you're just seeking
                              information," said David Demerjian, the head deputy of the Public
                              Integrity Division. "You're normally investigating some crime. You may
                              not necessarily have a target."

                              Guidi and Councilman Louis Velez were the first to arrive outside the
                              grand jury room in the Criminal Justice Center in downtown Los
                              Angeles. They were pacing the hallway more than an hour before the
                              hearings got under way at 9 a.m.

                              They were soon joined by Richard Prentice, the former city manager who
                              stepped down in June and moved to Utah. State regulators accused
                              Prentice earlier this year of collecting illegal pension benefits and
                              ordered him to pay back nearly $90,000.

                              The city attorney, Glen Shishido, followed a few minutes later and
                              told the others to sit apart from each other and stop talking. "Oh,
                              I'm sorry, I didn't realize," Prentice said. "We're just reminiscing.
                              We're not talking about this."

                              Guidi sat by himself on a hard bench. "It's like being in detention,"
                              he said.

                              A bailiff called them into the grand jury room one by one. He opened
                              the door and shouted, "Larry!" at 9:23 a.m., and Guidi disappeared inside.

                              Guidi testified for about an hour and a half, with a break for the
                              jurors in the middle. Then the bailiff motioned for Prentice to come
                              in; Velez was scheduled to testify later in the day.

                              City Councilwoman Ginny Lambert arrived later in the morning, then the
                              city's former director of human resources, Douglas Gates. Both were
                              told they could leave and come back to testify today.

                              They'll join the current city manager, Jag Pathirana, and Councilman
                              Gary Parsons, both of whom confirmed they had been called to testify
                              this morning. "I really have no idea" what it's about, Parsons said.

                              The only other member of the City Council, Pablo Catano, said several
                              weeks ago that he had been called to appear before the grand jury.

                              On Thursday, the Hawthorne officials waiting to testify held hushed
                              conversations throughout the day with an outside attorney named
                              Anthony Pacheco. He identified himself and another attorney, who would
                              not give his name, as attorneys hired to represent the city and its
                              officials.

                              A third attorney was representing Prentice, Pacheco said.

                              It was not clear whether the city or individual city officials were
                              paying for the attorneys. Pathirana said he didn't think the city had
                              paid for them and there was no contract with them "as far as I know."

                              It's also not clear whether the grand hearings will continue beyond
                              this week or involve more city officials. Demerjian, of the District
                              Attorney's Office, said he could not comment on any specific
                              investigations by the grand jury.

                              But he said information obtained under oath before a grand jury can
                              convince the District Attorney's Office to file charges or convene an
                              indicting grand jury -- or to close a case.

                              The city officials waiting Thursday for their turn to testify had
                              little to say about the grand jury or its investigation. "I don't know
                              anything about it," Prentice said before he testified. Shishido merely
                              held up one hand and said, "Not saying."

                              "I'm not allowed to talk to anyone," Guidi said during the break in
                              his testimony. "Sorry. Can't even say hello to my mom."