Re: [BodgerPark] Curb Painting

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 23, 2006
      Chris Call wrote:

      > Brent on a separate issue, what's going on with the water, last night
      > there was a massive amount of water coming down the street. I also
      > noticed that our water is of a rust color. Do you know anything about
      > that?
      >
      > Chris (Kornblum & Marine)
      >
      > Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...
      > <mailto:brentamorgan%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
      >
      > You are being scammed. $12 is a suggested donation - it is not a fee.
      >
      > These guys or another crew are by annually, often repainting the curb
      > numbers unnecessarily. They try to make it sound like they are sanctioned
      > by the city to do the service and to collect a fee. At best they are only
      > sanctioned to paint the curb for free and to collect a donation.
      >
      > If they painted a cool picture on my curb I'd consider paying them
      > something, but for now my answer is an emphatic NO.
      >
      > Brent
      >
      > >From: jsls110@... <mailto:jsls110%40aol.com>
      > >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BodgerPark%40yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: [BodgerPark] Curb Painting
      > >Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:49:36 EDT
      > >
      > >Am I the only one who thinks $12.00 for touching up the numbers on
      > the curb
      > >is too much? I heard the guy that's coming around collecting in an
      > argument
      > >with one of my neighbors and I can only assume it's over the price. We
      > >have
      > >several neighbors who are retired and on very fixed incomes so this
      > amount
      > >for
      > >them is quite a "chunk".
      > >
      > >Thanks for any input,
      > >The Stewart's on Doty

      Our water is also a yellowy rust color!!
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 27, 2006
        Chris -

        Mine was too the other day. What it most likely means is that there was
        another water main break somewhere upstream of our houses. If you haven't
        seen a Bodger Park geyser then you've missed a treat: a column of water 2.5
        stories high, though ususally there is a quite a bit of seep up through the
        asphalt beforehand.

        Sometimes after winter rains you'll see the water company come by and open
        up a fire hydrant. In that case, I think they are using the high flow rate
        of the water to scour the supply lines clean. They probably won't do this
        in summer because the street run-off would be highly contaminated. In
        winter the streets have already been cleaned by the rain. This is
        speculative.

        Brent

        >From: Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...>
        >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [BodgerPark] Curb Painting
        >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Brent on a separate issue, what's going on with the water, last night there
        >was a massive amount of water coming down the street. I also noticed that
        >our water is of a rust color. Do you know anything about that?
        >
        > Chris (Kornblum & Marine)
      • Chris Call
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 27, 2006
          Thank you Brent for that information. We have seen them down the street from our house cleaning out the fire hydrant, could that possbily have something to do with it. My water is still a rust color.

          Is there somebody that I can call?

          Thanks again Brent.

          Chris

          Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...> wrote:
          Chris -

          Mine was too the other day. What it most likely means is that there was
          another water main break somewhere upstream of our houses. If you haven't
          seen a Bodger Park geyser then you've missed a treat: a column of water 2.5
          stories high, though ususally there is a quite a bit of seep up through the
          asphalt beforehand.

          Sometimes after winter rains you'll see the water company come by and open
          up a fire hydrant. In that case, I think they are using the high flow rate
          of the water to scour the supply lines clean. They probably won't do this
          in summer because the street run-off would be highly contaminated. In
          winter the streets have already been cleaned by the rain. This is
          speculative.

          Brent

          >From: Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...>
          >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [BodgerPark] Curb Painting
          >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Brent on a separate issue, what's going on with the water, last night there
          >was a massive amount of water coming down the street. I also noticed that
          >our water is of a rust color. Do you know anything about that?
          >
          > Chris (Kornblum & Marine)

        • Brent
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 27, 2006
            I guess they know there is a problem if they are flushing the lines by
            letting the hydrant run. I'd try running your water for a while to
            see if you can get it clear.

            You should call the water company for more info. I don't have a bill
            handy, but I turned this up on the web

            California Water Service Company
            Customer Center
            2632 W. 237th St.
            Torrance, CA 90505
            8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
            (310) 257-1400

            I also found these Qs and As on the Cal Water web site
            http://www.calwater.com/FAQ.html#W7

            Q: Why do Cal Water employees open fire hydrants?
            A: Cal Water conducts regular water system flushing to remove any
            mineral build-up and sediment from the pipes and also to ensure that
            water circulates adequately throughout the system. Fire hydrants may
            also be opened to conduct fire-flow capability tests.

            Q: Why is there dirt or sand in my water?
            A: Dirt or sand can occur naturally in groundwater or as a result of
            a water line repair. We try to reduce the instances of dirt or sand in
            the water through regular flushing, which improves water quality by
            increasing the circulation of water in the pipes and removing most of
            the sediment from the water.

            --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Brent for that information. We have seen them down the
            street from our house cleaning out the fire hydrant, could that
            possbily have something to do with it. My water is still a rust color.

            > Is there somebody that I can call?
            >
            > Thanks again Brent.
            >
            > Chris
          • Alice
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 27, 2006
              Our water is still rust colored too!!

              Alyssia Parks

              Chris Call wrote:

              > Thank you Brent for that information. We have seen them down the
              > street from our house cleaning out the fire hydrant, could that
              > possbily have something to do with it. My water is still a rust color.
              >
              > Is there somebody that I can call?
              >
              > Thanks again Brent.
              >
              > Chris
              >
              > Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...
              > <mailto:brentamorgan%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
              > Chris -
              >
              > Mine was too the other day. What it most likely means is that there was
              > another water main break somewhere upstream of our houses. If you haven't
              > seen a Bodger Park geyser then you've missed a treat: a column of
              > water 2.5
              > stories high, though ususally there is a quite a bit of seep up
              > through the
              > asphalt beforehand.
              >
              > Sometimes after winter rains you'll see the water company come by and
              > open
              > up a fire hydrant. In that case, I think they are using the high flow
              > rate
              > of the water to scour the supply lines clean. They probably won't do this
              > in summer because the street run-off would be highly contaminated. In
              > winter the streets have already been cleaned by the rain. This is
              > speculative.
              >
              > Brent
              >
              > >From: Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...
              > <mailto:myshortcake2004%40yahoo.com>>
              > >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BodgerPark%40yahoogroups.com>
              > >Subject: RE: [BodgerPark] Curb Painting
              > >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
              > >
              > >Brent on a separate issue, what's going on with the water, last night
              > there
              > >was a massive amount of water coming down the street. I also noticed
              > that
              > >our water is of a rust color. Do you know anything about that?
              > >
              > > Chris (Kornblum & Marine)

            • Chris Call
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 27, 2006
                Thank you Brent, you have always been such a great help, I will try that.

                Chris

                Brent <brentamorgan@...> wrote:
                I guess they know there is a problem if they are flushing the lines by
                letting the hydrant run. I'd try running your water for a while to
                see if you can get it clear.

                You should call the water company for more info. I don't have a bill
                handy, but I turned this up on the web

                California Water Service Company
                Customer Center
                2632 W. 237th St.
                Torrance, CA 90505
                8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
                (310) 257-1400

                I also found these Qs and As on the Cal Water web site
                http://www.calwater.com/FAQ.html#W7

                Q: Why do Cal Water employees open fire hydrants?
                A: Cal Water conducts regular water system flushing to remove any
                mineral build-up and sediment from the pipes and also to ensure that
                water circulates adequately throughout the system. Fire hydrants may
                also be opened to conduct fire-flow capability tests.

                Q: Why is there dirt or sand in my water?
                A: Dirt or sand can occur naturally in groundwater or as a result of
                a water line repair. We try to reduce the instances of dirt or sand in
                the water through regular flushing, which improves water quality by
                increasing the circulation of water in the pipes and removing most of
                the sediment from the water.

                --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...> wrote:

                > Thank you Brent for that information. We have seen them down the
                street from our house cleaning out the fire hydrant, could that
                possbily have something to do with it. My water is still a rust color.

                > Is there somebody that I can call?
                >
                > Thanks again Brent.
                >
                > Chris

              • ROGELIO ALAMILLO
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 30, 2006
                  Hi Guys my name is Roy,
                  I live on 147 st and the corner of prairie.
                  I read your e-mails regarding the water issue. I just want to let you guys know that the water in my house has been rust color off and on for the past three weeks. I think there is a bigger issue out there.
                  I'm planning to stop by the city on Wednesday to give them information regarding this issue. I'm worry for any health issues that may come if in fact something is wrong with the quality of the water.
                  If you guys know more information please let me know.
                  Thanks

                  Chris Call wrote:

                  > Thank you Brent for that information. We have seen them down the
                  > street from our house cleaning out the fire hydrant, could that
                  > possbily have something to do with it. My water is still a rust color.
                  >
                  > Is there somebody that I can call?
                  >
                  > Thanks again Brent.
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >
                  > Brent Morgan <brentamorgan@...
                  > <mailto:brentamorgan%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
                  > Chris -
                  >
                  > Mine was too the other day. What it most likely means is that there was
                  > another water main break somewhere upstream of our houses. If you haven't
                  > seen a Bodger Park geyser then you've missed a treat: a column of
                  > water 2.5
                  > stories high, though ususally there is a quite a bit of seep up
                  > through the
                  > asphalt beforehand.
                  >
                  > Sometimes after winter rains you'll see the water company come by and
                  > open
                  > up a fire hydrant. In that case, I think they are using the high flow
                  > rate
                  > of the water to scour the supply lines clean. They probably won't do this
                  > in summer because the street run-off would be highly contaminated. In
                  > winter the streets have already been cleaned by the rain. This is
                  > speculative.
                  >
                  > Brent
                  >
                  > >From: Chris Call <myshortcake2004@...
                  > <mailto:myshortcake2004%40yahoo.com>>
                  > >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BodgerPark%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: RE: [BodgerPark] Curb Painting
                  > >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
                  > >
                  > >Brent on a separate issue, what's going on with the water, last night
                  > there
                  > >was a massive amount of water coming down the street. I also noticed
                  > that
                  > >our water is of a rust color. Do you know anything about that?
                  > >
                  > > Chris (Kornblum & Marine)

                • james8888oz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 1, 2006
                    FYI:
                    On the Lawndale (west) side of Prairie Ave and 147th the rusty water
                    was apparent from Friday of the previous week until Tuesday. It has
                    now been clear since Wednesday. I also saw water field crews
                    flushing the lines about a week and a half ago at the hydrant at
                    147th Pl and Prairie Ave. Not sure if the situation was a repair or
                    not. Hope this info helps.

                    --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, ROGELIO ALAMILLO <ralamillo@...>