Re: Fireworks are...

  • alicenwndrland24
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23 1:18 PM
      Hi Bodger Park!! My name is Alyssia Parks. I am a single mother/full
      time teaching student at CSUDH, and I live with my parents, the
      homeowners in BP. We too have a dog and every year he rams the garage
      door whenever he hears fireworks. Our garage door is now severly
      damaged. However, I am on both sides of the fence on this one. I
      grew up in a town on the East side of Riverside, in Moreno Valley. We
      never saw fireworks displays like this. Only the ones in the sky set
      off at our local high school. When I moved here with my parents at the
      age of 23, and saw the war zone that BP turns into during the fourth,
      I was blown away!! In the eyes of a 23, now 25 year old, this is
      awesome, especially for my seven year old daughter. However, there is
      a downside, silly people do silly things like lighting illegal
      fireworks which damage property and threaten lives. This is too
      dangerous!! I wish there was a way that we can still buy the fun
      "fountain" style fireworks (and light them for our kids, NOT the other
      way around) and get rid of all the illegal fireworks!! I guess
      however, the only way to rid the city, or at least cut it down, would
      be to ban the use of fireworks all together. I am glad that you took
      the time to inform our neighbors of this problem and asking them to be
      tollerable of the poor dogs that HATE this holiday. Thanks for
      listening to me, I just wanted to give the imput of a responsible
      young adult, and inform the world that there are still some people in
      this genertion X that still care.

      PS All the doggies should get treats on July 5th!! Maybe one day,
      someone will make doggy biscuits that say "We survived the 4th!"

      --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi-Marie K. Edwards"
      <kmkedwards@...> wrote:

      > Dear Bodger Park Neighbors,
      >
      > My husband and I, along with our dogs, heard fireworks starting
      June 18th, We, too, voted to BAN fireworks in Hawthorne. Bottle
      rockets are often found on our roof. My belief is that in the city of
      Hawthorne, ALL FIREWORKS ARE ILLEGAL! Just because we can buy
      fireworks around the corner in Lawndale doesn't mean it is legal in
      the city limits in Hawthorne. The city of Redondo Beach puts up signs
      informing people that fireworks are illegal. (Hawthorne City Council
      might consider investing in purchasing signs.)

      > Our dogs get very nervous when they hear fireworks...this year we
      plan to give them sedatives. But should we have to put them on
      sedatives starting in mid-June? Something needs to be done about this.

      > Note to Non-Dog Owners: Please be tolerable with barking dogs
      during this time of fireworks. Barking dogs can make us
      irritable...however, fireworks make dogs and their owners irritable.

      > Sincerely,
      > The Edwards
      >
      > Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail beta

    • james8888oz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23 4:00 PM
        Hi Alyssia,

        I just wanted to say, as a life long resident (and also a CSUDH
        alumni), I agree with you. As a kid I enjoyed the fireworks, but now
        it is out of control, and I too would rather see them banned because
        of the prevalence of illegal fireworks. However, every time it has
        come up for a vote in Lawndale in the past the measure to ban
        fireworks fails.

        Also, an FYI to members, I believe the City of Lawndale has planned
        a display for Saturday July 1st (not the 4th) at Leuzinger High
        School starting at 6PM, so be forewarned regarding your pets that
        weekend. I typically bring in my dogs and cats and put the TV on a
        little bit louder to distract them. We're in for a double duty
        display this year!

        --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "alicenwndrland24" <alice@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24 10:44 AM
          Alyssia, bless your heart, what a great e-mail. I agree, totally on
          both sides of the fence. I love fireworks but I believe that respect is the
          key word. The safe and sane fireworks are really good, although they,too,
          can cause trouble if not done properly. I also have dogs. Now although
          the ones that I have now could care less re loud noises, I can relate to the
          problem. In a perfect world the answer to this would be to have tons of
          patrol cars out and about on the 4th. I figure that the PD is streched
          pretty thin on the 4th, I would suggest that if folks see anyone using
          fireworks, they check it out and determine if it is legal and being done in
          a safe manner, and two, if not, they call 911 immediately. I would also
          take the time to speak with the person setting off the fireworks and voice
          my concerns....in a very friendly, neighborly way of course. I know that
          scares some folks, to speak with unknown neighbors re. issues. But I think
          you'll find most folks are quite receptive to talking. This is a GOOD
          neighborhood, with GOOD folks, sometimes tho, people just don't think until
          you bring it to their attention. Wish y'all well, K

          On 6/23/06, alicenwndrland24 <alice@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bodger Park!! My name is Alyssia Parks. I am a single mother/full
          > time teaching student at CSUDH, and I live with my parents, the
          > homeowners in BP. We too have a dog and every year he rams the garage
          > door whenever he hears fireworks. Our garage door is now severly
          > damaged. However, I am on both sides of the fence on this one. I
          > grew up in a town on the East side of Riverside, in Moreno Valley. We
          > never saw fireworks displays like this. Only the ones in the sky set
          > off at our local high school. When I moved here with my parents at the
          > age of 23, and saw the war zone that BP turns into during the fourth,
          > I was blown away!! In the eyes of a 23, now 25 year old, this is
          > awesome, especially for my seven year old daughter. However, there is
          > a downside, silly people do silly things like lighting illegal
          > fireworks which damage property and threaten lives. This is too
          > dangerous!! I wish there was a way that we can still buy the fun
          > "fountain" style fireworks (and light them for our kids, NOT the other
          > way around) and get rid of all the illegal fireworks!! I guess
          > however, the only way to rid the city, or at least cut it down, would
          > be to ban the use of fireworks all together. I am glad that you took
          > the time to inform our neighbors of this problem and asking them to be
          > tollerable of the poor dogs that HATE this holiday. Thanks for
          > listening to me, I just wanted to give the imput of a responsible
          > young adult, and inform the world that there are still some people in
          > this genertion X that still care.
          >
          > PS All the doggies should get treats on July 5th!! Maybe one day,
          > someone will make doggy biscuits that say "We survived the 4th!"
          >

          > --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi-Marie K. Edwards"
          > <kmkedwards@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Dear Bodger Park Neighbors,
          > >
          > > My husband and I, along with our dogs, heard fireworks starting
          > June 18th, We, too, voted to BAN fireworks in Hawthorne. Bottle
          > rockets are often found on our roof. My belief is that in the city of
          > Hawthorne, ALL FIREWORKS ARE ILLEGAL! Just because we can buy
          > fireworks around the corner in Lawndale doesn't mean it is legal in
          > the city limits in Hawthorne. The city of Redondo Beach puts up signs
          > informing people that fireworks are illegal. (Hawthorne City Council
          > might consider investing in purchasing signs.)
          > >
          > > Our dogs get very nervous when they hear fireworks...this year we
          > plan to give them sedatives. But should we have to put them on
          > sedatives starting in mid-June? Something needs to be done about this.
          > >
          > > Note to Non-Dog Owners: Please be tolerable with barking dogs
          > during this time of fireworks. Barking dogs can make us
          > irritable...however, fireworks make dogs and their owners irritable.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > The Edwards
          > >
          > > Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail beta

        • Alice
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 24 12:37 PM
            Thanks for the response, I was worried that since I wasn't technically a
            "home owner" that people might take offense to my interjection/opinion.
            Sadly, I am one of those people who are afraid of talking to some of my
            neighbors. We have a few that are very strange and have damaged our
            property before on purpose, however, I do not believe that they even
            celebrate the 4th. I agree though, sometimes I am pleasantly surprised
            at how friendly our neighbors can be compared to the rest of the "heart"
            of the South Bay, which can be kinda scary sometimes. My fiance lives
            with his brother and his wife in downtown Long Beach and he forbids my
            daughter and I to even travel there because of the "un-neighborly"
            things that he has witnessed. I hope that BP can pull together this 4th
            and celebrate safely and use common sense when doing so.

            Alyssia Parks
            147th/Doty