Re: Dog Warning

  • Sue Moret
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2006
      Thank you Kim for expressing what I feel.

      To the cat owners:

      Was your cat on your own property and the dogs came onto your
      property to murder your cat? Or was your cat wandering the streets
      (just as the dogs might have been) – in which case why does your
      kitty have more rights to than the dog? Or was your cat in someone
      else's yard (– in which case the dog does have the right to defend
      it's own territory)? Do you have an outdoor child or outdoor
      grandchild?? If you choose to adopt an animal you must take care of
      it in your own space, not expect the neighborhood to embrace it as
      part of their life – including making sure it is not invading other
      peoples lives and poop clean-up!

      -- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Parker" <loca107.1@...> wrote:

      > Deeanna, I think it was very kind of you to write to the folks
      that lost their kitty but I feel the need to say something to you
      without getting you upset. You say that your cat is very dear to you
      and yet it is an> outdoor cat. Aren't you worried about these crazy
      cars that zoom by? Or> dogs that just happen to be passing thru our
      neighborhood that are runaways?

      > Also there is the matter of responsibility. There is a somewhat
      large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing better than to
      do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is your cat but still
      you must admit> that while your beloved cat is out and about it is
      most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's yard. I really don't
      believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and when I walk them I am
      supposed to pick up behind them, yet every day or two I must pick up
      homemade gifts from cats running loose on the> block. Bless their
      little hearts, I know they gotta take care of business, but if they
      have owners I think those folks should keep them inside so that
      > others are not inconvenienced and the animals aren't harmed. K
      >

      > On 4/26/06, Wozniak, Deeanna <d.wozniak@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm so sorry for your loss.
      > > I have an outdoor cat that is very dear to me and can understand
      your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
      > > Thank you for taking the time to warn us - your neighbors. I
      think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the
      house for a few days.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2006
        **

        WOW, Sue that was *you* that wrote back? Evidently you are having
        the same issues as I am. I like cats, I really, really do. However, I
        don't like pickin up their poop when I go to mow my yard. Nor do I enjoy
        stepping in it when I am just walking thru my yard.

        So to all you folks out there with cats, PLEASE keep them in and use a
        litter box. And to those of you that don't/won't, you are bad neighbors, so
        don't you EVER complain about anything.

        On 4/30/06, Sue Moret <suemoret@...> wrote:

        > Thank you Kim for expressing what I feel.
        >
        > To the cat owners:
        >
        > Was your cat on your own property and the dogs came onto your
        > property to murder your cat? Or was your cat wandering the streets
        > (just as the dogs might have been) � in which case why does your
        > kitty have more rights to than the dog? Or was your cat in someone
        > else's yard (� in which case the dog does have the right to defend
        > it's own territory)? Do you have an outdoor child or outdoor
        > grandchild?? If you choose to adopt an animal you must take care of
        > it in your own space, not expect the neighborhood to embrace it as
        > part of their life � including making sure it is not invading other
        > peoples lives and poop clean-up!
        >

        > -- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Parker" <loca107.1@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Deeanna, I think it was very kind of you to write to the folks
        > that lost their kitty but I feel the need to say something to you
        > without getting you upset. You say that your cat is very dear to you
        > and yet it is an> outdoor cat. Aren't you worried about these crazy
        > cars that zoom by? Or> dogs that just happen to be passing thru our
        > neighborhood that are runaways?
        > >
        > > Also there is the matter of responsibility. There is a somewhat
        > large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing better than to
        > do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is your cat but still
        > you must admit> that while your beloved cat is out and about it is
        > most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's yard. I really don't
        > believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and when I walk them I am
        > supposed to pick up behind them, yet every day or two I must pick up
        > homemade gifts from cats running loose on the> block. Bless their
        > little hearts, I know they gotta take care of business, but if they
        > have owners I think those folks should keep them inside so that
        > > others are not inconvenienced and the animals aren't harmed. K
        > >

        > > On 4/26/06, Wozniak, Deeanna <d.wozniak@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm so sorry for your loss.
        > > > I have an outdoor cat that is very dear to me and can understand
        > your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
        > > > Thank you for taking the time to warn us - your neighbors. I
        > think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the
        > house for a few days.
        > > > Deeanna on 147th street.

      • Sue Moret
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2006
          Yes Kim, it was me - I told everyone today at work that I expect to
          be lynched soon for posting a negative pet message - however I also
          love cats (and all animals) - I REALLY do - just not in my yard if
          they aren't mine (and I have owned a few). I currently have pond &
          land turtles and Koi (fish) and a dog all of whom have been molested,
          maimed or killed by neighboring cats entering my brick-walled
          backyard. I have bird feeders and squirrel feeders and I have seen
          them all stalked by cats who live in my area; I have brought in my
          newspaper from the front yard smeared with cat *poop* on Sunday
          mornings, luckily my gardening service mows the other leavings.

          I truly do love cats and kitties, but keep them on your property if
          they are yours! I truly love children too - but if anybody else's
          children show up in my back yard uninvited I reserve the right to
          complain to the parents and the authorities.

        • James Radek
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2006
            This is from the bad neighbor -- who lost our kittie Steffie ------we did not mean to make everyone mad at us --- This is what happened -- Steffie was a very sweet, loving, trusting kittie who was dumped on our block a year ago -- a starving kittie who we & several of our neighbors adopted. Jim & I have a lot of cats -- all inside the house, porch, garage, backyard & cannot get out in the neighborhood to poop on your yards & papers & molest your dogs & fish etc. We could not take an older cat like Steffie into our house -- he would not make it with the others -- all the neighbors took care of him -- he had his house, cat box (to poop in) toys, food, & loving -- he was an older cat who did not wander & bother anyone, he clearly came from a home with kids & dogs because he was not afraid of any of them. We went to the other yards to pick up his poop. Neighbors & people who walked down our block all knew him & liked him. He was killed by a dog or dogs at around 4am on 4-26-06
            -- my other cats woke me up & I saw a small dog being chased down the middle of the street around the same time plus there was another (very pretty fluffy gray kittie) killed around the corner -- the animal control lady told us there are one or 2 or more houses in the neighborhood who have bad dogs & who let them loose at night or whose kids let them loose "by mistake" during the day & she told us to watch for them & report them if we see them. We did not mean to cause such an uproar against cats --- we only wanted to send a warning & let people know, as animal control asked us to, watch out ----------- if it was not cats being killed, but children or people being attacked by dogs, maybe it would be a different story? BTW, recently, a man was attacked & bitten by 2 bad dogs at the end of our block & they ended up being impounded.

            Thank you for listening, we will no longer send any messages....Kat on 144th

            Sue Moret <suemoret@...> wrote:
> [...]

            somewhat > large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing
            better than to > do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is
            your cat but still> > you must admit> that while your beloved cat is
            out and about it is > most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's
            yard. I really don't > believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and
            when I walk them I am > supposed to pick up behind them, yet every
            day or two I must pick up > homemade gifts from cats running loose on
            the> block. Bless their> > little hearts, I know they gotta take
            care of business, but if they> > have owners I think those folks
            should keep them inside so that> > others are not inconvenienced and
            the animals aren't harmed. K

            understand > your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
            > > think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the

            Quality of life Politics Government American politics

            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2006
              Kat on 144th,
              Thank you for writing that nice message. For the life of me, I don't know
              how this message that you started, just trying to alert the neighborhood about
              dogs either in our area or coming from another area to Bodger Park got so out
              of hand. The purpose of this group is to inform our neighbors! We're on the
              S. end of Doty and there are some dogs that have gotten loose and almost
              attacked another dog who was being walked, on a leash by his owner on two
              different occasions. These dogs came into both our yard and my neighbors and almost
              attacked our elderly neighbor.
              I am very sorry to hear about your loss, obviously it was felt by not only
              your family, but others around you.
              The Stewart's on Doty.

            • Kim
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                I would just like to tell Mr. Radek and family that I sincerely am sorry for my "bad neighbor" comment. I just get so darn frustrated with all the cat droppings all over my yard. You sound like very kind folks, which this world could use more of, so again, very sorry. K

> [...]
                >thru our> neighborhood that are runaways?

                >somewhat > large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing
                >better than to > do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is
                >your cat but still> > you must admit> that while your beloved cat is
                >out and about it is > most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's
                >yard. I really don't > believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and
                >when I walk them I am > supposed to pick up behind them, yet every
                >day or two I must pick up > homemade gifts from cats running loose on
                >the> block. Bless their> > little hearts, I know they gotta take
                >care of business, but if they> > have owners I think those folks
                >should keep them inside so that> > others are not inconvenienced and
                >the animals aren't harmed. K

                >understand > your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
                >> > think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the

              • Wozniak, Deeanna
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                  Kim, sorry for my late reply - I've been on vacation...boy have I missed
                  a lot. :)

                  My kitty was actually born in my backyard by a neighborhood feral cat
                  and since I'm allergic to cats I can't keep her in my house. However,
                  we've made a pet door into my garage and she has her food, a bed, and a
                  litter box in there. She actually stays pretty close to the house - at
                  least comes when I call her so she must be within ears reach. Hopefully
                  she's not doing anything nasty in your (or anyone else's) yard. I keep
                  a reflective color (with a bell) and a tag on her, give her flee & tick
                  medication as well as regular trips to the vet for her shots.
                  Once I got the e-mail about the dogs I did lock her in at night, but
                  she's so used to being outside...and our yard is gated so she has
                  somewhere to feel safe. The cars do worry me, but thankfully she's the
                  "stand-off'ish" type (keep my fingers crossed).
                  I've lived with cats my whole life but the older I get the more allergic
                  I become. It's heart breaking we can't invite her into the house. I
                  try to be as responsible as I can, but I don't have the heart to take
                  her to a shelter.

                  I know there is a problem with stray cats which is why I tried to help
                  this cat have a home, even if it's just a garage and scratch on the head
                  every morning and night. I sure hope she's not making messes but just
                  because she's an outside cat doesn't make her bad for our neighborhood.
                  She a great mouser - there's a plus nobody's mentioned.
                  Deeanna (& El Segundo, the cat).

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                    Hey. Sounds like you are doing the best that you can, and seems like
                    spending a bit of money, too. You know what, if I think about it, most
                    folks with outside cats probably wouldn't be adverse to comming to pick up
                    the poop if folks would let them know it's there. Never thought about that
                    before....interesting. Thanks for writing back, take care. K