Dog Warning

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 26, 2006
      Late last night, a dog or dogs killed our kittie, Steffie, on 144th
      St. near Doty, and also killed another cat (a fluffy gray/white cat)
      around the corner on Doty. The animal control lady says there have
      been mean dogs getting loose in the area & if anyone sees any dogs
      running loose, to please call the police dispatch (911) right away &
      they will notify Animal Control. We & our other neighbors - Steffie's
      family - are very sad. Jim & Kathy on 144th St.
    • Wozniak, Deeanna
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 26, 2006
        I'm so sorry for your loss.
        I have an outdoor cat that is very dear to me and can understand your
        feelings of sadness and loss.
        Thank you for taking the time to warn us - your neighbors. I think I'll
        keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the house for a few days.
        Deeanna on 147th street.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2006
          I am so sorry to hear about the kitties. I live on Fonthill and have
          not seen nor heard any stray dogs. I have a Pitt and believe me, she would
          let me know if another dog got anywhere NEAR this street. Animal control
          told me a while back that there is a Pitt, or maybe he said two, that tend
          to run loose in that general neighborhood. I wondered at the time why they
          had not been caught or their owner fined. My neighbor has a rather large
          sheppard that he let's out on the street at night to do his "business" when
          it's dark, but I don't think he would hurt anything...more bark than bite,
          ya know. However, I can't b sure, nor do I know how far he roams when let
          out. I'm pretty sure he stays on the immediate block and just poops in OUR
          yards and then goes home. I would like to call someone re. this
          unsupervised letting out but I know that it is such a low priority call that
          the dog would be back in his home by the time anyone got here to check it
          out.

          Anyway, I'm sorry about your cat as well as the other one and I shall
          keep my eyes out since I get home after 8 in the evening and might see
          something. K

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 27, 2006
            Deeanna, I think it was very kind of you to write to the folks that
            lost their kitty but I feel the need to say something to you without getting
            you upset. You say that your cat is very dear to you and yet it is an
            outdoor cat. Aren't you worried about these crazy cars that zoom by? Or
            dogs that just happen to be passing thru our neighborhood that are runaways?

            Also there is the matter of responsibility. There is a somewhat large
            tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing better than to do it's
            business in my yard. I don't think it is your cat but still you must admit
            that while your beloved cat is out and about it is most likely doing "stuff"
            in your neighbor's yard. I really don't believe that that is fair. I have
            dogs and when I walk them I am supposed to pick up behind them, yet every
            day or two I must pick up homemade gifts from cats running loose on the
            block. Bless their little hearts, I know they gotta take care of business,
            but if they have owners I think those folks should keep them inside so that
            others are not inconvenienced and the animals aren't harmed. K

          • katzz4me@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
              In a message dated 4/27/2006 8:05:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              loca107.1@... writes:

              neighbors - Steffie's
              > family - are very sad. Jim & Kathy on 144th St.

              To Jim and Kathy Iam very sorry for your loss....I live on 144 th and Doty
              I have not seen any strays dogs at all I have three dogs and they would tell
              me of anything any way near the house..
              Darlene and Bernie on Doty

            • Higush
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                Hi Jim & Kathy - I'm so sorry to hear about Steffie. I too am going to miss
                that sweet little kittie. Although Steffie was a stray, he got a lot of love
                from all the surrounding neighbors especially the tender care from you guys.
                He even had his own little house set up at Frank and Terri's.

                Hig on Doty.

              • Sue Moret
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 30, 2006
                  Thank you Kim for expressing what I feel.

                  To the cat owners:

                  Was your cat on your own property and the dogs came onto your
                  property to murder your cat? Or was your cat wandering the streets
                  (just as the dogs might have been) – in which case why does your
                  kitty have more rights to than the dog? Or was your cat in someone
                  else's yard (– in which case the dog does have the right to defend
                  it's own territory)? Do you have an outdoor child or outdoor
                  grandchild?? If you choose to adopt an animal you must take care of
                  it in your own space, not expect the neighborhood to embrace it as
                  part of their life – including making sure it is not invading other
                  peoples lives and poop clean-up!

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                    **

                    WOW, Sue that was *you* that wrote back? Evidently you are having
                    the same issues as I am. I like cats, I really, really do. However, I
                    don't like pickin up their poop when I go to mow my yard. Nor do I enjoy
                    stepping in it when I am just walking thru my yard.

                    So to all you folks out there with cats, PLEASE keep them in and use a
                    litter box. And to those of you that don't/won't, you are bad neighbors, so
                    don't you EVER complain about anything.

                    On 4/30/06, Sue Moret <suemoret@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Kim for expressing what I feel.
                    >
                    > To the cat owners:
                    >
                    > Was your cat on your own property and the dogs came onto your
                    > property to murder your cat? Or was your cat wandering the streets
                    > (just as the dogs might have been) � in which case why does your
                    > kitty have more rights to than the dog? Or was your cat in someone
                    > else's yard (� in which case the dog does have the right to defend
                    > it's own territory)? Do you have an outdoor child or outdoor
                    > grandchild?? If you choose to adopt an animal you must take care of
                    > it in your own space, not expect the neighborhood to embrace it as
                    > part of their life � including making sure it is not invading other
                    > peoples lives and poop clean-up!
                    >

                    > -- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Parker" <loca107.1@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Deeanna, I think it was very kind of you to write to the folks
                    > that lost their kitty but I feel the need to say something to you
                    > without getting you upset. You say that your cat is very dear to you
                    > and yet it is an> outdoor cat. Aren't you worried about these crazy
                    > cars that zoom by? Or> dogs that just happen to be passing thru our
                    > neighborhood that are runaways?
                    > >
                    > > Also there is the matter of responsibility. There is a somewhat
                    > large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing better than to
                    > do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is your cat but still
                    > you must admit> that while your beloved cat is out and about it is
                    > most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's yard. I really don't
                    > believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and when I walk them I am
                    > supposed to pick up behind them, yet every day or two I must pick up
                    > homemade gifts from cats running loose on the> block. Bless their
                    > little hearts, I know they gotta take care of business, but if they
                    > have owners I think those folks should keep them inside so that
                    > > others are not inconvenienced and the animals aren't harmed. K
                    > >

                    > > On 4/26/06, Wozniak, Deeanna <d.wozniak@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm so sorry for your loss.
                    > > > I have an outdoor cat that is very dear to me and can understand
                    > your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
                    > > > Thank you for taking the time to warn us - your neighbors. I
                    > think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the
                    > house for a few days.
                    > > > Deeanna on 147th street.

                  • Sue Moret
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                      Yes Kim, it was me - I told everyone today at work that I expect to
                      be lynched soon for posting a negative pet message - however I also
                      love cats (and all animals) - I REALLY do - just not in my yard if
                      they aren't mine (and I have owned a few). I currently have pond &
                      land turtles and Koi (fish) and a dog all of whom have been molested,
                      maimed or killed by neighboring cats entering my brick-walled
                      backyard. I have bird feeders and squirrel feeders and I have seen
                      them all stalked by cats who live in my area; I have brought in my
                      newspaper from the front yard smeared with cat *poop* on Sunday
                      mornings, luckily my gardening service mows the other leavings.

                      I truly do love cats and kitties, but keep them on your property if
                      they are yours! I truly love children too - but if anybody else's
                      children show up in my back yard uninvited I reserve the right to
                      complain to the parents and the authorities.

                    • James Radek
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                        This is from the bad neighbor -- who lost our kittie Steffie ------we did not mean to make everyone mad at us --- This is what happened -- Steffie was a very sweet, loving, trusting kittie who was dumped on our block a year ago -- a starving kittie who we & several of our neighbors adopted. Jim & I have a lot of cats -- all inside the house, porch, garage, backyard & cannot get out in the neighborhood to poop on your yards & papers & molest your dogs & fish etc. We could not take an older cat like Steffie into our house -- he would not make it with the others -- all the neighbors took care of him -- he had his house, cat box (to poop in) toys, food, & loving -- he was an older cat who did not wander & bother anyone, he clearly came from a home with kids & dogs because he was not afraid of any of them. We went to the other yards to pick up his poop. Neighbors & people who walked down our block all knew him & liked him. He was killed by a dog or dogs at around 4am on 4-26-06
                        -- my other cats woke me up & I saw a small dog being chased down the middle of the street around the same time plus there was another (very pretty fluffy gray kittie) killed around the corner -- the animal control lady told us there are one or 2 or more houses in the neighborhood who have bad dogs & who let them loose at night or whose kids let them loose "by mistake" during the day & she told us to watch for them & report them if we see them. We did not mean to cause such an uproar against cats --- we only wanted to send a warning & let people know, as animal control asked us to, watch out ----------- if it was not cats being killed, but children or people being attacked by dogs, maybe it would be a different story? BTW, recently, a man was attacked & bitten by 2 bad dogs at the end of our block & they ended up being impounded.

                        Thank you for listening, we will no longer send any messages....Kat on 144th

                        Sue Moret <suemoret@...> wrote:
> [...]

                        somewhat > large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing
                        better than to > do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is
                        your cat but still> > you must admit> that while your beloved cat is
                        out and about it is > most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's
                        yard. I really don't > believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and
                        when I walk them I am > supposed to pick up behind them, yet every
                        day or two I must pick up > homemade gifts from cats running loose on
                        the> block. Bless their> > little hearts, I know they gotta take
                        care of business, but if they> > have owners I think those folks
                        should keep them inside so that> > others are not inconvenienced and
                        the animals aren't harmed. K

                        understand > your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
                        > > think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the

                        Quality of life Politics Government American politics

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                          Kat on 144th,
                          Thank you for writing that nice message. For the life of me, I don't know
                          how this message that you started, just trying to alert the neighborhood about
                          dogs either in our area or coming from another area to Bodger Park got so out
                          of hand. The purpose of this group is to inform our neighbors! We're on the
                          S. end of Doty and there are some dogs that have gotten loose and almost
                          attacked another dog who was being walked, on a leash by his owner on two
                          different occasions. These dogs came into both our yard and my neighbors and almost
                          attacked our elderly neighbor.
                          I am very sorry to hear about your loss, obviously it was felt by not only
                          your family, but others around you.
                          The Stewart's on Doty.

                        • Kim
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                            I would just like to tell Mr. Radek and family that I sincerely am sorry for my "bad neighbor" comment. I just get so darn frustrated with all the cat droppings all over my yard. You sound like very kind folks, which this world could use more of, so again, very sorry. K

> [...]
                            >thru our> neighborhood that are runaways?

                            >somewhat > large tiger striped grey short hair that loves nothing
                            >better than to > do it's> business in my yard. I don't think it is
                            >your cat but still> > you must admit> that while your beloved cat is
                            >out and about it is > most likely doing "stuff" in your neighbor's
                            >yard. I really don't > believe that that is fair. I have> dogs and
                            >when I walk them I am > supposed to pick up behind them, yet every
                            >day or two I must pick up > homemade gifts from cats running loose on
                            >the> block. Bless their> > little hearts, I know they gotta take
                            >care of business, but if they> > have owners I think those folks
                            >should keep them inside so that> > others are not inconvenienced and
                            >the animals aren't harmed. K

                            >understand > your> > feelings of sadness and loss.
                            >> > think I'll> > keep my tiger strip short hair, El Segundo, in the

                          • Wozniak, Deeanna
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                              Kim, sorry for my late reply - I've been on vacation...boy have I missed
                              a lot. :)

                              My kitty was actually born in my backyard by a neighborhood feral cat
                              and since I'm allergic to cats I can't keep her in my house. However,
                              we've made a pet door into my garage and she has her food, a bed, and a
                              litter box in there. She actually stays pretty close to the house - at
                              least comes when I call her so she must be within ears reach. Hopefully
                              she's not doing anything nasty in your (or anyone else's) yard. I keep
                              a reflective color (with a bell) and a tag on her, give her flee & tick
                              medication as well as regular trips to the vet for her shots.
                              Once I got the e-mail about the dogs I did lock her in at night, but
                              she's so used to being outside...and our yard is gated so she has
                              somewhere to feel safe. The cars do worry me, but thankfully she's the
                              "stand-off'ish" type (keep my fingers crossed).
                              I've lived with cats my whole life but the older I get the more allergic
                              I become. It's heart breaking we can't invite her into the house. I
                              try to be as responsible as I can, but I don't have the heart to take
                              her to a shelter.

                              I know there is a problem with stray cats which is why I tried to help
                              this cat have a home, even if it's just a garage and scratch on the head
                              every morning and night. I sure hope she's not making messes but just
                              because she's an outside cat doesn't make her bad for our neighborhood.
                              She a great mouser - there's a plus nobody's mentioned.
                              Deeanna (& El Segundo, the cat).

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                                Hey. Sounds like you are doing the best that you can, and seems like
                                spending a bit of money, too. You know what, if I think about it, most
                                folks with outside cats probably wouldn't be adverse to comming to pick up
                                the poop if folks would let them know it's there. Never thought about that
                                before....interesting. Thanks for writing back, take care. K