1764Re: Red striped curb on Marine and Prairie?

  • Brent
    Apr 1, 2007
      I think that the Mayor's suggestion that we red stripe the curb was
      targeted at the visual blight of long term parking and for sale cars,
      not at parking congestion. I believe he felt that if the sale cars
      couldn't park on the outside of our frontage roads, then they would
      move elsewhere. Long term parkers would move to the residential side
      of the street where they would quickly be called in to the police.
      That's my understanding of the theory, at least.

      It's interesting that there's parking along the main part of Prairie
      both to our north and south. I think the commercial zoning to the
      south (in the Hawthorne part of Prairie) is the driver for that
      decision. Lawndale has horrible parking problems, so they are
      probably driven to use every last scrap of available parking -
      probably due to those apartments across Prairie from El Camino Village.

      --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Alene Gardner" <alene.gardner@...>
      wrote:

      > I like the idea of having no parking along the frontage roads too.
      But I am afraid the cars will begin parking in front of our homes
      since they cannot park on the frontage road.

      > While the work is being done on the Prairie strip, several cars have
      already started parking on my street in front of the houses. Two cars
      were parked in front of my house, and not moved for 3 days.

      > How about making the Prairie side of the frontage strip a parking
      zone again. There is parking on Prairie south of Marine and on
      Prairie north of Rosecrans. The only area there is no parking is on
      Prairie beside Bodger Pk.

      > There is also parking on the West side of Prairie opposite Bodger
      Park in Lawndale.

      > If the city allows parking on the West side of the Prairie strip,
      hopefully, cars will park there and not on the inside of the strip,
      thus alleviating the street congestion.