Fw: Signs on the island

  • Andy_Kathleen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi all,
      See note below from Phil Durgin. I told him we would try to handle this
      decision over email since we are not meeting again until August. I'll keep
      Phil in the loop for his feedback.
      I'm all for going with Phil's suggestion of only allowing open house signs
      and nothing else. Lots of signs on the island looks unappealing and we
      don't want to offend anyone. Let me know your thoughts.

      Thanks,
      Kathleen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        Kathleen I agree with you.  I think we should only allow open house signs (is necessary) in the island.  Before you know it we would have every political sign and so forth up there and it would look tacky.

        Connie

        > This morning I removed a hand-done sign (about 18" by 24") from the island
        that said "Deck Staining" and listed a phone number. It doesn't happen
        often, but at various times over the past couple of years I've also removed
        other commercial signs, mostly real estate for sale signs, that have been on
        the island for more than a week or two. My informal rule is that it's okay
        to have an "Open House" sign up for a week or so, but other than that, I
        take the signs down. I'm thinking that with the political season coming up,
        maybe it would be good for the board to make a policy decision on what signs
        can be placed on the island, how many, and for how long. My recommendation
        would be to allow Open House signs up for a week, but nothing else. If you
        want me to come to a board meeting to discuss this, let me know when the
        next one is and I'll try to be there. Feel free to forward this to the
        other board members if you want.

        > --
        > Phil Durgin
        > 3918 Ridgeland Blvd.

      • the wilder's
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          I concur...Tammy

          Rick Rossi <rncrossi@...> wrote:
          Kathleen I agree with you.  I think we should only allow open house signs (is necessary) in the island.  Before you know it we would have every political sign and so forth up there and it would look tacky.

          Connie

          > This morning I removed a hand-done sign (about 18" by 24") from the island
          that said "Deck Staining" and listed a phone number. It doesn't happen
          often, but at various times over the past couple of years I've also removed
          other commercial signs, mostly real estate for sale signs, that have been on
          the island for more than a week or two. My informal rule is that it's okay
          to have an "Open House" sign up for a week or so, but other than that, I
          take the signs down. I'm thinking that with the political season coming up,
          maybe it would be good for the board to make a policy decision on what signs
          can be placed on the island, how many, and for how long. My recommendation
          would be to allow Open House signs up for a week, but nothing else. If you
          want me to come to a board meeting to discuss this, let me know when the
          next one is and I'll try to be there. Feel free to forward this to the
          other board members if you want.

          > --
          > Phil Durgin
          > 3918 Ridgeland Blvd.

        • Edmund Kloske
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008

            Concur. Ed Kloske

            I noticed a similar sign towards the top of Orr’s Bridge Rd. Was this sign sponsored by a Ridgeland resident? Just curious…

            Kathleen I agree with you.  I think we should only allow open house signs (is necessary) in the island.  Before you know it we would have every political sign and so forth up there and it would look tacky.

            Connie

            > This morning I removed a hand-done sign (about 18" by 24") from the island
            that said "Deck Staining" and listed a phone number. It doesn't happen
            often, but at various times over the past couple of years I've also removed
            other commercial signs, mostly real estate for sale signs, that have been on
            the island for more than a week or two. My informal rule is that it's okay
            to have an "Open House" sign up for a week or so, but other than that, I
            take the signs down. I'm thinking that with the political season coming up,
            maybe it would be good for the board to make a policy decision on what signs
            can be placed on the island, how many, and for how long. My recommendation
            would be to allow Open House signs up for a week, but nothing else. If you
            want me to come to a board meeting to discuss this, let me know when the
            next one is and I'll try to be there. Feel free to forward this to the
            other board members if you want.

            > --
            > Phil Durgin
            > 3918 Ridgeland Blvd.

          • Cindy Lehman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
              "Open House signs only for one week" sounds like a good policy.  People are free to advertise in their own yards or ask a neighbor at the entrance for yard use.

              Cindy Lehman
              717-732-5208 (home)
              I noticed a similar sign towards the top of OrrÂ’s Bridge Rd. Was this sign sponsored by a Ridgeland resident? Just curiousÂ…

              Kathleen I agree with you.  I think we should only allow open house signs (is necessary) in the island.  Before you know it we would have every political sign and so forth up there and it would look tacky.

              Connie

              > This morning I removed a hand-done sign (about 18" by 24") from the island
              that said "Deck Staining" and listed a phone number. It doesn't happen
              often, but at various times over the past couple of years I've also removed
              other commercial signs, mostly real estate for sale signs, that have been on
              the island for more than a week or two. My informal rule is that it's okay
              to have an "Open House" sign up for a week or so, but other than that, I
              take the signs down. I'm thinking that with the political season coming up,
              maybe it would be good for the board to make a policy decision on what signs
              can be placed on the island, how many, and for how long. My recommendation
              would be to allow Open House signs up for a week, but nothing else. If you
              want me to come to a board meeting to discuss this, let me know when the
              next one is and I'll try to be there. Feel free to forward this to the
              other board members if you want.

              > --
              > Phil Durgin
              > 3918 Ridgeland Blvd.

            • Dick Troy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
                Greeting from Kansas.
                I'm with the others who agree with Phil and like his approach about
                restricting island signs to one-week 'Open House' notices.
                I don't have our formal RCA letter of agreement with me, but suggest we
                might want to look at it with an eye toward adding this; otherwise,
                we're left with a good idea that goes away over time. Before we
                formalize it, we probably should ask for comments
                in the newsletter, maybe via community email.

                Dick