Dr. Harner questions

  • Andy_Kathleen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
      I have not rec'd any ?s or comments from the neighborhood to forward to Dr. Harner.  Could all of you brainstorm and come up with some info asap?  I'll pull something together then and send it to him.  I'd rather not wait for the meeting this Thurs to do this.

      Thanks!!
      Kathleen

    • Dick Troy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
        Here are some links that can provide a question or three:

        http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2008/06/10/news/local/doc484e81e96f398016991132.txt

        From the article (FTA):
        If hired, Harner told an audience of approximately 60 people at Eagle View Middle School Monday night that he plans to bring the various district groups to the table to have discussions and take Cumberland Valley from "good to great."
        To do that, he would rely on the creation of communication committees, additional staff training, strategic spending practices and ways to strengthen curriculum and academic opportunities for students at all grade levels, he said.
        "One of the biggest things I've learned is you have to invest in your people," Harner said.
        He discussed an array of ideas to improve the district, including smaller learning communities for the tougher transition in grades like sixth and ninth, foreign language exposure at the elementary level and the potential of full-day kindergarten.
        Taking the district to the next level also involves challenging the students to take more rigorous classes, he said, which begins at the elementary level. Students should take the harder classes early so there is more opportunity for acceleration in middle and high school, Harner said.
        That could also prompt more students to enroll in advanced placement courses, Harner said.

        Q.  Could you please discuss the status of the above-mentioned "array of ideas" you proposed for the district when you were hired?

        http://www.cvschools.org/district.cfm?subpage=27532

        FTA:  "He created the Charles Townes Center for the Highly Gifted, and his district was featured on the front page of the Wall Street Journal for its success in closing the student achievement gap."

        Q.  What can CV do to increase opportunities for our gifted students?

        http://comment-blog.advance.net/cgi-bin/mte/mt-search.cgi?tag=Cumberland%20Valley%20School%20District&blog_id=3032

        Q.  What are your views of Gov. Rendell's proposal to consolidate school districts?

        http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/01/cumberland_valleys_equity_sess.html

        FTA:  "Parents of students at Hampden have claimed that the children are not getting enough attention from a too-small staff at the district's largest elementary school." (From a meeting on 1/29).

        Q.  Could you please address any staffing issues currently confronting the school district?

        Finally, the all-purpose question, "What one or two issues keep you awake at night?"

        Re-phrase, change, or delete as you see fit.  Remember, I have no children in our schools, so you know better than I the questions that will resonate.

        Dick

        Andy_Kathleen wrote:
        I have not rec'd any ?s or comments from the neighborhood to forward to Dr. Harner.  Could all of you brainstorm and come up with some info asap?  I'll pull something together then and send it to him.  I'd rather not wait for the meeting this Thurs to do this.

        Thanks!!
        Kathleen

      • Cindy Lehman
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009

          Great questions, Dick.

          Kathleen, would it be possible to send an email reminder to neighbors about submitting questions within a day or two, which will also remind them of the annual meeting date?  It seems appropriate to give a final approval to the compiled questions at our board meeting on Thursday.

          Here are a few rough questions from Cindy…

          1.       How/when will the new elementary math curriculum will be implemented?

          2.       Has the district considered a formal volunteer program to encourage parents, retirees, etc. to be more involved in the school day?

          3.       When will the elementary school districting for 2009-10 be announced?

          4.       What is his general view and/or current district policy on participation by homeschooled children?  (i.e. sports, high school courses, music, plays)

          5.       What  opportunities are available for high school students to take college courses – online, at HACC, at Messiah College, etc.

          FYI…Below are the questions that were answered by Dr. Walker in 2005.  I can’t remember all her answers, so some might be appropriate to ask again.

          Cindy

          1.     What, if any, are the plans for website communication between parents and teachers? (i.e. system recently implemented by Northern York School District)

          2.     Provide an overall summary of long-term plans for Hampden Township growth and its impact on the elementary, middle, and high schools. (i.e. redistricting, new school buildings)

          3.     What are the plans for Shaw Elementary?  Who will this impact?

          4.     Does CV require a high school service project for graduation?  If so, how can our organization assist neighborhood teens?

          5.     Provide an overview of curriculum goals and/or its major changes that currently being addressed or are anticipated within the next five years.  Who determines the content of the curriculum and dictates changes?  Are there any “hot topics” today?  (i.e whole language vs phonics)

          6.     What, if any, are the plans for extended class periods?  (i.e. block scheduling)

          7.     What are the plans, if any, for all-day kindergarten?  How is this decision determined?

          8.     Summarize the interaction of CV with home-schoolers.  What is the percentage of children who are home-schooled in this district?

          9.     Do school officials receive updates on local sex-offenders, as dictated by Megan’s Law?

          10.  Provide a brief overview of Emergency Plans during a school day.  What are a parent’s options and/or role when an emergency is declared?  Statistics of fire drill preparedness, false alarms, etc. would be interesting.

          11.  What are options for volunteer parental involvement at the classroom, school and district levels?

          12.  What are your plans for the dress code at the high school next year?  Who determines the dress code?  Does anyone have input, vote/voice, or is that a board or superintendent decision?

          13.  If there is a change in the dress code, what is the rationale behind the change?

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009

            Please add to meeting agenda…

            Michael G. from the Township contacted me last Friday morning.  Triple Crown is requesting that the township purchase a chunk of unused space in Silver Brook so that they are no longer responsible for it.  It’ll stay open space.  Out of courtesy, the township is asking our opinion on the matter, since the land is near our development.  He mailed a map and proposal for review.  I’m forwarding the paperwork to Dick for review prior to our Thursday meeting.  I told Michael that we would reply to him after our Annual Meeting, prior to their April 2nd township meeting.

            Cindy

          • Rick Rossi
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
              CIndy,
              WHen do you want me to forward the Q's to Dr. Harner's assistant?

              Connie

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009

                Is it too late to forward the questions after our meeting on Thursday?  That will give neighbors and other board members a chance give input.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Hello, All -

                  I know we are scheduled to meet at my house this Thursday. I am
                  wondering if any one else could host the meeting. We have been hit
                  hard by a particularly terrible stomach flu. It started with Mira
                  last Thursday, then spread to me and next my son, Dominic. It lasts
                  about 3 days - Dominic is still not over it yet (as of late this
                  morning).
                  I don't think there's any way to have my home clean, germ-free, and
                  presentable by Thursday. We've been just "surviving" this past week.
                  I'm sure everyone can understand. I still plan on attending the
                  meeting (assuming Daniel doesn't come down with this flu bug by then),
                  however, I just can't host it this month. I'll be glad to switch to
                  hosting duties for next month.

                  Thanks,

                  Carrie Finch
                  cwfinch@...