Re: "Sill In the Notion,Yet." Did Henry leave to soon?

  • gly_nda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008

      http://www.texfiles.com/texashistory/san_saba_mines.htm

      Check out these Tunnels!

      Glynda

      --- In BloodyBillMysterySolvedGroup@yahoogroups.com, "gly_nda" <gly_nda@...> wrote:

      > In 1890 Henry Mims showed up for a Texas Ranger reunion at Camp Wood.
      > From Camp Wood Henry rode East to see his sister Minerva and Brother-
      > in-law William P.Osteen (My gr. grandparents) Henry convinced the
      > couple to move West to the San Saba with him.
      >
      > "Will,You have the brains, and I have made me a nice gamblin' stake.
      > I want you to help me raise up that gold and Silver laying beneath
      > the river water.I know jest where it is. We can pull that loot up and
      > share it in halves."
      >
      > Will and Minerva ( whose children were mostly grown) loaded
      > furniture, quilts, canned goods, jars and jars of vegetables and jams
      > and saddles, and trunks full of clothing into a covered wagon. They
      > followed their Pied Piper, Henry Mims to Fort McKavett, where a
      > settlement still existed in the absence of troops. For TEN YEARS.
      > Henry and Will searched the San Saba River bottom for GOLD,without
      > any LUCK.
      >
      > It was New Years Day 1900 when Henry said to Will "We haven't
      > found Old Bowies Silver Mine because then heathen Yankees musta beat
      > us to it durin'the late War. And then gold bars in the San Saba must
      > be buried in silt.
      >
      > " But Henry Jr, lives in New Mexico now, working in a mine at
      > Deming. He wants me to come there and help him pan for gold nuggets,
      > Damn me for an old fool, I am still in the Notion Yet."
      >
      > Wonderful story about my Mims Family by Shirley Pieratt.
      >
      > Glynda

    • Fran Bolton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
        Maybe Henry did not leave too soon, maybe he soon got smart!
        "In 1887 gold was found in a drilling core in Llano county and
        attracted numerous prospectors to the area. The Heath Mine, located
        five miles northeast of Llano was opened in 1896 after gold was
        discovered there. In Mineral Resources of the Llano-Burnet Region,
        Texas, by Sidney Page, published by the Government Printing Office,
        Washington, D.C. (1911), the author reported the results of twelve
        gold and silver mining operations in Llano county. "It must be said,
        however, that in general the quantity is so small as to be valueless
        from the standpoint of a mining enterprise. Results of many assays
        made of specimens said to contain gold were decidedly discouraging,"
        Page wrote."
        To read the complete article, scroll to the bottom of the page Glynda
        gave a link to, cluck on:
        FOR MORE ON TEXAS HILL COUNTRY GOLD CLICK HERE

        Fran