Re: William Dalton

  • neilpedlar
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2003
      -Hi Steve and John,
      I have been trying to find out about WD for several years now, as he
      wrote two factually based novels about Japan for Victorian boys. In
      fact most of his adveture novels are based on contemporary travel
      books - and are not full of pure fantasy like many famous children's
      books are today!
      Like many Victorian writers, WD must have had poor contracts with
      publishers as despite his 16 books and many articles he died aged 54
      of heart disease "agrivated by want and cold" in November 1875 in a
      workhouse hospital in London. He left no will.
      Two of his books are still in print today in paperback! See
      www.elibron.com
      ATB - Neil
    • rwssterk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
        Hi Neil,

        Personally I don't take interest in Dalton publications. However, I
        have looked into my archive and found a note about a foreign Dalton
        edition. Apparently Dalton was also translated into Spanish :
        Los cazadorez de cazabas. It has 79 pages and was published in 1962.
        (I hope this is the right Dalton !)
        I have also looked in Dutch, Czech & Hungarian book-catalogues, but
        couldn't find any Dalton publications. But there is still much to
        discover...........
        I'll keep an eye open and let you know if something turns up.

        Regards,
        Rimmer
      • snooway
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          HI Neil

          I'm also interested in William Dalton, especially his novels on
          China. I've just finished reading The Wolf Boy of China and wanted
          to find more biographical information on him.
          I am wondering where you got this information:
          > Like many Victorian writers, WD must have had poor contracts with
          > publishers as despite his 16 books and many articles he died aged
          54
          > of heart disease "agrivated by want and cold" in November 1875 in
          > workhouse hospital in London. He left no will.

          If you could give me the reference, that would be great.

          --- In BloodsandDimeNovels@yahoogroups.com, "neilpedlar"