Re: [Blood-of-Heroes-chat] Altered Form

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30 6:31 PM
      I think for a GM, who hated using the alter ego and preferred having powers
      that took up points to account for that powered form, this would work
      great. Since I haven't really GMd much I don't know about the factor
      costs, etc. But it sounded reasonable. And to be honest the -1 factor
      cost for the powers fits with the elemental linking. Definitely sounds
      worth taking a look at. And this is my own personal opinion, not the
      companies, especially since I never have the last say on anything the
      company says. I am just the listadmin. 8) Most know this, but I wanted
      to make sure everyone who didn't know this does know.

      Keith

      At 02:05 AM 4/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
      >Interesting idea.
      >It has potential.
      > by Robert James Grady
      >
      > ALTERED FORM
      > Link: Body Physical Power
      > Range: Self Type: Auto
      > Base Cost: 15 Factor Cost: 9
    • Ronin
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2001
        It's a drawback so you GAIN 25/75 points per Alter Ego.
        The main ego is made with 450 pts, each additional alter ego is made with
        225 pts. The drawback points are gained by the main ego, but you can
        transfer points from the main ego to any alter ego at a 1 to 1 basis.

        > --- In Blood-of-Heroes-chat@y..., Ronin <ronin@a...> wrote:
        >> You can take multiple alter egos. Alter Ego is a 75/25 pt drawback.
        > So if
        >> you want 4 alternate egos you can take it 4 times. The rules in
        > BOH:SE have
        >> been revamped from previous versions.
        >>

        > I don't have my book here (actually, I DO have it here but my boss
        > would see me reading it), but who gets charged the 75 pts? I thought
        > you build the 450 point character and then charged that character the
        > 75 pts. Where would the points come from?

      • Christopher Stanley Barnhart
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2001
          Well as a GM who does hate the alter ego drawback as it exists now, I do
          prefer Altered Form now. I thought it was a little under priced a base
          cost 15 however.

          On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Keith wrote:

          > I think for a GM, who hated using the alter ego and preferred having powers
          > that took up points to account for that powered form, this would work
          > great. Since I haven't really GMd much I don't know about the factor
          > costs, etc. But it sounded reasonable. And to be honest the -1 factor
          > cost for the powers fits with the elemental linking. Definitely sounds
          > worth taking a look at. And this is my own personal opinion, not the
          > companies, especially since I never have the last say on anything the
          > company says. I am just the listadmin. 8) Most know this, but I wanted
          > to make sure everyone who didn't know this does know.
          >
          > Keith
          >
          > At 02:05 AM 4/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
          > >Interesting idea.
          > >It has potential.
          > > by Robert James Grady
          > >
          > > ALTERED FORM
          > > Link: Body Physical Power
          > > Range: Self Type: Auto
          > > Base Cost: 15 Factor Cost: 9
          >
          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: Blood-of-Heroes-chat@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe: Blood-of-Heroes-chat-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/Blood-of-Heroes-chat

        • Greg Frantsen
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2001
            So, basically, if you have more than one powered form you just pick one and charge the points to it.
            If I have character A and he has 2 powered forms B and C, then charge B 50 points which gives me 225 for A and 225 for C. I can then borrow points from B to complete C. Is that correct?
            Josh, you still there? I thought there was a better way (maybe it was DC 2nd. Ed.).

            later.
            greg.

            It's a drawback so you GAIN 25/75 points per Alter Ego.
            The main ego is made with 450 pts, each additional alter ego is made with
            225 pts. The drawback points are gained by the main ego, but you can
            transfer points from the main ego to any alter ego at a 1 to 1 basis.

            > --- In Blood-of-Heroes-chat@y..., Ronin <ronin@a...> wrote:
            >> You can take multiple alter egos. Alter Ego is a 75/25 pt drawback.
            > So if
            >> you want 4 alternate egos you can take it 4 times. The rules in
            > BOH:SE have
            >> been revamped from previous versions.
            >>

            > I don't have my book here (actually, I DO have it here but my boss
            > would see me reading it), but who gets charged the 75 pts? I thought
            > you build the 450 point character and then charged that character the
            > 75 pts. Where would the points come from?

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2001
              Yes, that's how it works. So just to review.

              Form A = 225
              Form B = 500 (450 + 50 for two controlled alter egoes)
              Form C = 225

              Form B is the main form and you can move points from it to the other forms.
              You CANNOT move points from the other forms though. So you could end up with
              something like this.

              Form A (Powered)= 360 (225 + 135 from Ego B)
              Form B (Powered)= 365 (450 + 50 for two controlled alter egoes - 135 moved
              to ego A)
              Form C (Normal)= 225

              You have two powered forms and a human unpowered form.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2001
                Cool. That will work great, and more importantly, I understand it.
                I have two further questions/clarifications:

                1. Does experience HP go to a central "pool" or do I have to allocate points to each ego?
                2. If I'm building powered characters on 900 points do the "other" egos get 450?

                Thanks.
                Greg.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2001
                  > Cool. That will work great, and more importantly, I understand it.
                  > I have two further questions/clarifications:

                  I think it works well to. It's from the BoH:SE.

                  > 1. Does experience HP go to a central "pool" or do I have to allocate
                  > points to each ego?

                  Common pool. You'll have to decide how you want to divide the points between
                  the form.

                  > 2. If I'm building powered characters on 900 points do the "other" egos get
                  > 450?

                  I'm not sure about this. The rules don't address this. I think you decide
                  with your GM what to do or see if Josh answers this. I'll post it on the
                  DCHeroes newsgroup and see what they say.

                • d_leonard@alternity.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2001
                    --- In Blood-of-Heroes-chat@y..., pawsplay@l... wrote:
                    > by Robert James Grady
                    >
                    > ALTERED FORM
                    > Link: Body Physical Power
                    > Range: Self Type: Auto
                    > Base Cost: 15 Factor Cost: 9
                    >
                    > The character has a second, more physically powerful form. The
                    > character may transform into a metallic giant, a wolfman, or any
                    > other form. The exact form is chosen when the power is taken. The
                    > character is mentally unchanged, but his body has become something
                    > other than a normal human's.
                    >
                    > The AP's of the Power are divided among the chacter's Physical
                    > Attributes. This allocation is permanent and cannot be changed;
                    the
                    > character will have the same abilities each time he transforms.
                    For
                    > instance, a character might have Altered Form: 9 [+2 DEX, +4 STR,
                    +3
                    > BODY]. If the character's power is somehow reduced temporarily,
                    the
                    > player may remove an AP one at a time from each Attribute bonus in
                    > turn, or the player may devise a chart that shows the distribution
                    at
                    > each AP level. At 0 AP's, the character cannot transform.
                    >
                    > Altered Form may be purchased with a special +1 Factor Cost:
                    Powered
                    > Form. The character then purchases other powers that he possesses
                    in
                    > his Altered Form, such as Growth, Density Increase, or Claws.
                    Those
                    > powers receive a -1 Factor Cost, are accessible only in his Powered
                    > Form, and have a maximum AP value of his Altered Form. Powers that
                    > are normally eligible for Power Always On can still take that
                    > Limitation, and will always be on at maximum AP value in the
                    Altered
                    > Form. Altered Form may also take a -1 Factor Cost Limitation:
                    Cannot
                    > Transform is Altered Form is Reduced. In that case, the character
                    > will revert to their normal form if they lose so much as a single
                    AP
                    > of Altered Form until it is Recovered.
                    >
                    > [Design notes: The Base Cost was devised by taking Density Control,
                    > another power that increases abilities in a predictable way, and
                    > adding the cost of Insta-Change, an ability that gives the
                    character
                    > another appearance. The Factor Cost is the Factor Cost of Power
                    > Reserve, minus 1 for the Attributes being pre-set.]
                    >
                    > [Overall, this experiment suggests that characters with a radically
                    > altered Physical form are best designed under the Alter Ego rules,
                    > although I would like to hear feedback from anyone who chooses to
                    use
                    > this Power.]

                    I like the logic of this power. At first I had no use for it at
                    first glance, but having thought about it this gives me a great way
                    to make a villain I've had in mind for awhile.

                    On the plus side your power explains why both forms of a character
                    (Ego and Alter Ego) both possess the same skills, abilities, attitude
                    and so on. This would make a great power for a wolfman type
                    character.

                    Character Idea - The Avatar
                    The Avatar has altered form, but it adds to their spiritual
                    attributes. While the avatar can use some of his powers in his
                    normal form only by turning into the Avatar can all powers be
                    accessed.

                    D_Leonard