Rachel Skaggs/Scaggs

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 7:10 AM
      Vanessa, in going thru my files and trying to bring some order to them,
      I came across a post of yours dated in Feb, 2004, subject matter John
      Scaggs. The post dealt with John as well as several Rachel Skaggs and
      what Joel Hager had on these Rachel's.

      Just for your information, the following are the Rachel's I have in the
      Skaggs line:

      1. Rachel Skaggs b. c 1774, d/o Henry Skaggs and Mary Thompson, married
      Thomas Ray 1/29/1794.

      2. Rachel Skaggs b. c 1760, d/o James Skaggs, Jr. (brother to Henry,
      etc.) married Moses Etherton 5/18/1789 (Nelson Cty, KY).
      NOTE: Rachel Skaggs Etherton is listed on the 1860 Census for
      Green County, KY in the household of her son, Moses, age 60.
      Rachel is listed as age 100 and born in N.C.

      3. Rachel Skaggs b. 8/31/1761, d/o Charles Skaggs and Lucy Thompson,
      married Nathan Blevins c 1788. (This Rachel's birth date verified
      in the Archibald Thompson's diary)

      4. Rachel Skaggs b. c 1766, d/o John Skaggs and Ruth Elkins Bishop,
      married William Calvin Lester 3/22/1786 Montgomery Cty, Va.

      5. Rachel (referred to as a Skaggs - but not proved she was), d/o ??
      married Hezekiah Whitt c 1782. Hezekiah s/o of Rev. Richard Whitt
      and Susannah Skaggs (Susannah d/o James Skaggs & Rachel Moredock,
      and sister to Charles & Henry above). Hezekiah Whitt's son,
      Griffey, married Martha "Patsy" Skaggs, d/o Jeremiah Skaggs and
      Hannah Lester. Jeremiah Skaggs s/o of Zachariah Skaggs; Hannah d/o
      Abner Lester and sister to William Calvin Lester. After Jeremiah's
      death, Hannah married Edmund Whitt, s/o Rev. Richard Whitt &
      Susannah Skaggs, brother to Hezekiah.
      (This is almost a tongue-twister)

      Now, an interesting note and maybe one that would clear up the mistake
      about Rachel Skaggs Lester's middle name being "Rebecca". The John
      Skaggs that was married to Elizabeth ?? and was the brother to Charles,
      Henry & Susannah mentioned above, had a daughter named Rebecca (this
      information is verified in the Moses Skaggs Lawsuit papers). Since so
      many researchers of this family (Skaggs/Bishop) had Ruth Elkins married
      to this John Skaggs, which we now know is incorrect, this could be
      where the confusion started about our Rachel Skaggs having the name
      Rachel "Rebecca".

      I thought maybe you would like this information for your files and
      possibly to send on to Joel Hager.

      Carol
    • The Allens
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31 2:56 PM
        Hi Carol,

        This info on the various Rachels is really helpful, and interesting, too.
        I can see now why the two Rachels - the one who married William Lester and
        the one who married Hezekiah Whitt - have been mixed up by some people,
        since the Whitt family had those connections to "our" Skaggs family.

        You pointed out that it's not proven that the Rachel who married Hezekiah
        Whitt was actually a Skaggs. That's a good point.

        Thanks so much for sending this to me!!

        Vanessa