Re: [Birdingperu] New birds for Peru.

  • atabini
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      First of all I am not an expert but would like to comment specially about picture photo2 and photo5 that Gunnar upload,this two pictures show some white lores and almost the same amount (very little) of white that I saw on White-rumped Swallows in Argentina. As far as I know this white is only present on this specie here is Peru what would make this two pictures of White-rumped Swallow (Tachycineta leucorrhoa) for me.

      The other two pictures does not show any white at least on this picture for me, but not sure if this can rule out white-rumped or it is just a photo effect or some light-feather effect on the bird.

      This is just my opinion, maybe wrong but from what I saw, know and photograph in Argentina last year of the white-rumped swallow this two looks like it.

      Regards,

      Alejandro Tabini

      De:Birdingperu@yahoogroups.com
      Para:Birdingperu@yahoogroups.com
      Copia:"robsrw@..." robsrw@..., anahipp@..., david.thorns@...
      Fecha:Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:50:38 -0500 (CDT)
      Asunto:Re: [Birdingperu] New birds for Peru.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi everybody,

        here is the message I sent to Tom Schulenberg yesterday:

        Yes, you're right... I was too quick in my identification!

        I agree that the color is more "greenish blue" rather than "blue". But the
        small size pictures are not excellent, and I would like to see the full size
        pic, to apreciate better the color.

        For the white supraloral spot, mmm
        On 3 pictures, I don't really see it. But of course, it's evident in the
        picture where the swallow is flying toward us.

        I confess that I didn't pay attention to that spots, because the
        White-rumped Swallow I remember, had a white stripe reaching the eye, not a
        small spot.
        I also saw some Chilean Swallow (but maybe only inmatures, not adults... I
        have to chek some pictures to be sure...) with some white on the supraloral,
        so I wasn't disturbed by the small spots in front of the lores shown on the
        pictures.

        HBW says for T. leucorrhoa "Has white streak above lores, often extending
        over bill [...] Distinguished from similar T. meyeni by white above lores]
        So the presence of white on the lores seems to be characteristic of
        White-rumped Swallow, even if it's only a small spot.

        (personally, I'm not convinced that the white supraloral feature also works
        with inmature... I'm fairly sure to have seen Chilean S. inmature with white
        or whitish on the supraloral, and will try to find some pictures (or wait
        the next breeding seasons to do some !!)).

        So, this bird looks perfect for a Swallow !!!

        And you right, probably a White-rumped !

        But I'm not 100% sure, and would like to see the pictures in high resolution
        (I already asked Gunnar, but he doesn't have the original pictures).

        all my best Tom, and have good birds,
        Fabrice

        De:Birdingperu@ yahoogroups. com
        Para:Birdingperu@ yahoogroups. com
        Copia:"robsrw@terra. com.pe" robsrw@terra. com.pe, anahipp@terra. com.pe, david.thorns@ wanadoo.fr
        Fecha:Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:50:38 -0500 (CDT)

> [...]

        > Gunnar
        >

        > Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
        Kolibri Expeditions
        http://www.kolibrie xpeditions .com
        www.birding- peru.com Peru Birdwatching Portal . Checklists, pics & site info, etc.
        www.birdingperu. blogspot. com - Blog - updated frequently.

        Tel: +51 1 4765016. Cell: +51 1 9933 1669 or 9900 7886 (telefonica) or
        920 46 992 (Claro)
        Correo Yahoo!
        Regístrate ya - http://correo. espanol.yahoo. com/

        > Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
        Kolibri Expeditions
        http://www.kolibrie xpeditions .com
        www.birding- peru.com Peru Birdwatching Portal . Checklists, pics & site info, etc.
        www.birdingperu. blogspot. com - Blog - updated frequently.

        Tel: +51 1 4765016. Cell: +51 1 9933 1669 or 9900 7886 (telefonica) or

      • Fabrice Schmitt
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi again,

          I just uploaded 2 pictures (one twice... sorry) of Chilean Swallow with white supraloral....

          [... well, maybe they are White-rumped S., but that would be the first for Chile !! ]

          These birds seem to be adults (glossy blue on the back and on the crown), and so the white supraloral feature is not perfect.

          Sorry, I know I don't help very much...

          by,
          Fabrice

          De:Birdingperu@ yahoogroups. com
          Para:Birdingperu@ yahoogroups. com
          Copia:"robsrw@terra. com.pe" robsrw@terra. com.pe, anahipp@terra. com.pe, david.thorns@ wanadoo.fr
          Fecha:Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:50:38 -0500 (CDT)

> [...]

          > Gunnar
          >

          > Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
          Kolibri Expeditions
          http://www.kolibrie xpeditions .com
          www.birding- peru.com Peru Birdwatching Portal . Checklists, pics & site info, etc.
          www.birdingperu. blogspot. com - Blog - updated frequently.

          Tel: +51 1 4765016. Cell: +51 1 9933 1669 or 9900 7886 (telefonica) or
          920 46 992 (Claro)
          Correo Yahoo!
          Regístrate ya - http://correo. espanol.yahoo. com/

          > Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
          Kolibri Expeditions
          http://www.kolibrie xpeditions .com
          www.birding- peru.com Peru Birdwatching Portal . Checklists, pics & site info, etc.
          www.birdingperu. blogspot. com - Blog - updated frequently.

          Tel: +51 1 4765016. Cell: +51 1 9933 1669 or 9900 7886 (telefonica) or

        • Alvaro Jaramillo
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007

            Folks

               I must admit that seeing what looked like a blue backed swallow with dark underwings, and having it be identified as Chilean Swallow, well like Fabrice…I thought yes, that makes sense, looks good. But when I looked at the photos on the next day what struck me about the Peru swallow was the great intrusion of white behind the auriculars, creating almost a collared effect. This is not something that I recall seeing on Chilean Swallow, or White-rumped Swallows. Searching the web for photos, I found that the one swallow that often showed this very same mark was Mangrove Swallow! Ok, so that is unlikely, but how about Tumbes Swallow? I don’t know that species and have never seen photos or specimens of it. The general differentiating points noted in the field guides from Mangrove is that it is darker below (underwings, flanks etc), has more markings on the rump, and tends to lack the white supraloral. Many of these features fit the Peru bird, in particular a couple of photos show distinct dusky markings on the white rump. Again, this is not something I have noted in Chilean Swallow. Pale supraloral streaks you do see on Chilean swallow, but they do not meet over the bill, these pale patches are strongest between the bill and eye, but above the lore (hence supraloral!). In addition, the wings are blurred, but there is a lot of white on the tertial tips on this bird, extending to the inner secondaries (better for Mangrove types, as opposed to Chilean/White-rumped). The apparent blue, rather than green, coloration on the back may be an effect of the low light and angle? This is a classic problem with iridescent colors of course, but then again, I have no idea what the actual back color of a Tumbes Swallow is. I put that out for you folks who know that species to mull over.

            A wonderful article on the identification of the first Mangrove Swallow in the United States , published in North American Birds is here:

            http://spacecoastbirding.com/articles/FirstMangroveSwallow.pdf

            Note that they do not deal with Tumbes Swallow, but some of the points are likely applicable. In addition, look at that Florida Swallow’s face pattern (white behind auriculars) is similar to the Peru bird, and this is common in many photos of Mangrove Swallow. Does Tumbes show the same pattern?

            Regards

            Alvaro

            Alvaro Jaramillo

            chucao@...

            Half Moon Bay , California

            Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

            www.fieldguides.com

            Birdingperu@ yahoogroups. com

            Birdingperu@ yahoogroups. com

            Copia:

            "robsrw@terra. com.pe" robsrw@terra. com.pe, anahipp@terra. com.pe, david.thorns@ wanadoo.fr

            Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:50:38 -0500 (CDT)

> [...]

            > Gunnar

            > Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
            Kolibri Expeditions
            http://www.kolibrie xpeditions .com
            www.birding- peru.com  Peru Birdwatching Portal . Checklists, pics & site info, etc.
            www.birdingperu. blogspot. com - Blog - updated frequently.
            Tel: +51 1 4765016. Cell: +51 1 9933 1669 or 9900 7886 (telefonica) or
            920 46 992 (Claro)

            Correo Yahoo!
            Regístrate ya - http://correo. espanol.yahoo. com/

            > Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
            Kolibri Expeditions
            http://www.kolibrie xpeditions .com
            www.birding- peru.com  Peru Birdwatching Portal . Checklists, pics & site info, etc.
            www.birdingperu. blogspot. com - Blog - updated frequently.
            Tel: +51 1 4765016. Cell: +51 1 9933 1669 or 9900 7886 (telefonica) or

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • wim have
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
              Hi Barry,
              I tried to call Juve from Paucartambo, but nobody at
              home. Afterwards we went to Manu. Not thinking of you,
              the day before you wasn´t at home, when I was in
              Cusco.
              But I am sure that it were White-rumped Swallows, so
              nothing new.
              Best regards,
              Wim

              --- Barry Walker <bwalker@...> wrote:

              > Wim - To confirm or deny records the best thing is
              > for other observers to see the bird involved. It
              > would have been usefull if you had mailed or called
              > me on July 2nd and I could have gone down to look at
              > them - only 30 minutes drive from my house
              > Barry

              > Manu Expeditions
              >
              > www.ManuExpeditions.com
              > www.Birding-In-Peru.com