White-bellied versus Green-and-White Humingbird

  • Rasmus Boegh
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 4:30 PM
      Obviously, I know about the tail for seperating these
      two. However, I was recently presented with a photo
      (taken near Machu Picchu) where the hummingbird was
      id'ed as a White-bellied Hummingbird on basis of it
      having a white post ocular mark. The underside of the
      tail could not be seen (and was not noted by the
      observer). Is the post ocular a "good" fieldmark? Is
      it never seen in Green-and-White? I would also be very
      pleased to hear about any other marks that are usefull
      for seperating these two... except for that wellknown
      tail and the hue of the green (which can be rather to
      judge, especially on a photo).

      Cheers,
      Rasmus Boegh

      Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan
    • Gunnar Engblom
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 10:37 PM
        Good topic Rasmus.

        I used to go by location to identify the two (Green-and-White in Machu
        Picchu and White-bellied in Ollantaytambo) but I have recently had
        reason to look more carefully at these.
        First of all – the White-bellied Hummingbirds I see in Cusco department
        have much less white in the tail than those in Huanuco. In Huanuco they
        have a lot of white in the tail which can even be seen from the upper
        side when the birds spread the tail – therefore it is very obvious in
        flight. It does not seem to be as clear in Urumbamba valley- I wonder if
        there is any hybridization going on?

        Regarding post ocular spot, I am not aware that should be present on
        either. Could you have the person that took the picture to post it on
        www.birdingperu.com <http://www.birdingperu.com/> ?

        I will check some pictures of mine to see if we can get any other useful
        field marks. What about tail-length?

        Gunnar

        Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
        Kolibri Expeditions
        <http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/> http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com

        Birding Peru e-group: birdingperu-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Trip reports, recent sightings, travel tips, travel partners, range
        extensions, identification help, www.birding-peru.com
        <http://www.birding-peru.com/>
        Obviously, I know about the tail for seperating these
        two. However, I was recently presented with a photo
        (taken near Machu Picchu) where the hummingbird was
        id'ed as a White-bellied Hummingbird on basis of it
        having a white post ocular mark. The underside of the
        tail could not be seen (and was not noted by the
        observer). Is the post ocular a "good" fieldmark? Is
        it never seen in Green-and-White? I would also be very
        pleased to hear about any other marks that are usefull
        for seperating these two... except for that wellknown
        tail and the hue of the green (which can be rather to
        judge, especially on a photo).

        Cheers,
        Rasmus Boegh

        Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads,
        spamfilter og virusscan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129uigva7/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705065787:HM/EXP=1083540637/A=1874365/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
        ldn/*http:/companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>

        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_fin_lrec_
        01.gif>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=1874365/rand=209451244>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rasmus Boegh
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 8:56 PM
          After some initial problems I've just uploaded a photo
          of a probable Green-and-White Hummingbird:

          http://www.birding-peru.com/picsfiles/photos.asp?idtipopic=1

          However, is it possible to exclude White-bellied
          Hummingbird on basis of the photo? Dave Wheatley who
          took the photo didn't note if the undertail had any
          white.

          Any comments on the id (and why) would be appreciated!

          Sincerely,