RFI: Rainer NP and Target Species

  • rycenga jennifer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2002
      Dear BirdYakkers:

      A friend and I are planning a 6-day swing through Washington State next
      month, to spruce up our Washington State lists and enjoy the beautiful
      Northwest. I have a few questions about target species. Are there reliable
      locations around Yakima for LEWIS'S WOODPECKER and SAGE GROUSE? Also, which
      entrance(s) to Mt. Rainier NP are richest for the small songbirds, like
      Hermit and Black-throated Gray Warblers and Lazuli Buntings? Thanks in
      advance - you can reply to me off-list.

      Jennifer Rycenga
      Berkeley, California
      gyrrlfalcon@...
      "Identification is more difficult when the bird persists in manifesting
      itself as a vague streak rather than as a definite object" - A.C. Bent

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2002
        Jennifer,

        This seems to be an off year for Lewis's Woodpecker in the Garry Oaks at
        Fort Simcoe, their usual stronghold. Give that park a try, though. It's 30
        miles west of Toppenish. The first Ponderosa Pines on the Umtanum Road south
        from Ellensburg (after leaving the paved road about another 8-10 miles),
        usually has a few Lewis's. This gravel road leads to the Wenas Campground.

        For Sage Grouse, drive the Cold Creek Road at DAWN (say 5 AM) on the Yakima
        Training Center, just north of Yakima. Grouse might be by the roadsides and
        flush up. Try to spot them ahead of time, you might then get a reasonable
        glimpse. Often, though, you miss them and they explode up from the roadside
        vegetation as you are passing them. They'll be off like a missile and you're
        unlikely to relocate them. Attached are directions. Be careful out there,
        please, there is extraordinary fire danger now.

        Good luck!