Spruce Grouse search in the Ahtanum-6 October

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2013
      SPRUCE GROUSE SEARCH IN THE NORTH FORK AHTANUM

      Ellen and I searched for the ever-elusive Spruce Grouse by hiking
      decommissioned logging roads south of the North Fork Ahtanum on this
      absolutely beautiful fall day. We did not see a live Spruce Grouse but did
      collect feathers from one a hunter shot (shotgun casing there for evidence)
      so hope there's still a grouse or two surviving up there.

      We crossed the bridge 0.9 mile west of the Grayrock Trail Parking lot and
      took an immediate left. This logging road soon meets a locked gate. We
      continued on up the mountain about a mile to a fork and took a left here.
      This route took us downhill to the Grayrock Trail Parking lot! It's a nice,
      off-the-beaten track route that appears to offer lots of habitat for Spruce
      Grouse. Since we failed on seeing a grouse going one way, I talked Ellen
      into turning around and returning the way we came! Of course it would have
      been much quicker to walk up the North Fork road to our vehicle. Alas, we
      still dipped on grouse but we doubled our exercise!

      Readers might question the 45 or so ravens we counted. These birds were
      soaring and playing in the winds on the ridge to the north. Ellen suggested
      all these ravens might be making an easy living off hunters who butcher
      their elk and deer on the spot and cart the meat off, leaving more than half
      the animal (as related by an elk hunter) for carrion feeders such as ravens
      and coyotes.

      On a mammal note, we passed an impressive rockslide with bleating Pikas
      which afforded Ellen super photo ops. These are such cute little beasts!

      Hairy Woodpecker 1
      Northern Flicker 2
      Pileated Woodpecker 1
      Gray Jay 4
      Steller's Jay 5
      Clark's Nutcracker 6
      Common Raven 45
      Mountain Chickadee 10
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee 1
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 15
      Brown Creeper 4
      Pacific Wren 4
      Golden-crowned Kinglet 15
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
      Hermit Thrush 3
      Varied Thrush 2
      Yellow-rumped Warbler 3
      Fox Sparrow 1
      White-crowned Sparrow 10
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 2
      Dark-eyed Junco 15
      Cassin's Finch 1
      Red Crossbill 2
      Pine Siskin 3

    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013

        Regarding carrion left by hunters, I also see Black-billed Magpies (BBMA) working their way into the ponderosa pine forests at this time of year.  Presumably, I think they are also taking advantage of elk/deer carcasses left by hunters as I don’t see BBMA in forested areas during the spring and summer.

        Jeff Kozma

        Yakima