Rufous Hummingbird in our yard

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013
      Hi Yakkers,

      In our patio we have a water feature that consists of three verticle pieces of basalt. Two are set in concrete and one has a hole drilled lengthwise and sits on top of a tub of water. A pump pushes water up the hole, then it flows down the sides of the rock. Here is alinnk to a photo of an Orange-crowned Warbler on top of that rock:

      This morning I was standing inside the back door watching a Yellow-rumped Warbler taking a bath on top of the rock (species #12 taking a bath or getting a drink on that rock) when an immature Rufous Hummingbird flew up to investigate the water. It hoovered momentarily in front of the rock, giving me a good view of the rufous color on its sides. It is getting pretty late for a Rufous Hummingbird to be in the valley.

      There are still plenty of flowers in the garden but I cleaned and filled the hummingbird feeders in case it stays around today.

      Denny Granstrand
      Southwest of the Yakima Airport

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA