Saturday Swifts Shrink

  • Rich712@...
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2013
      Chirp,

      Sunset this evening was at 6:34 pm and at that time, it looked pretty sparse swift-wise.  Ten minutes later, I estimated the swirling flock to be close to 200.  Very calm tonight with a bright sunset.  Half the birds plunged close to 6:45 or so; the rest piddled around for ten minutes but the last one was in at 6:55.  Greg Bohn counted 199 while I had 196.  It appears that the bulk of our migrants have headed south.

      Will reinforcements arrive from the north?  I think the Monroe, WA chimney dropped from Wed & Thur (22,000) to 1,100 on Friday.

      What a great run since Lori Isley discovered this roost on Sept 6, birds documented nightly through Oct 5 and counting.

      Not so swift