Parasitic Jaeger photos on my website

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2013

      Kevin called me yesterday afternoon to tell me about the Parasitic Jaeger he and Mary found a Rimrock Lake. I was at the east end of the Vernita Bridge looking at gulls that were feeding on salmon carcasses dropped on the river shore by fisherman. The river was packed with boats and evidently they were doing quite well.

      There were 100 gulls of three species of feasting on the carcasses - Ring-billed, California, two adult Glaucous-winged plus one hybrid Glaucous-winged X Western. This is a spot that could bring in some rarities (Glaucous and Iceland Gulls come to mind) as long as the fishing continues.

      It takes a surprisingly long time to drive from the Vernita Bridge to Rimrock Lake, about 1 1/2 hours. I walked out onto the mudflats of the lake and joined Andy and Ellen who were searching for the jaeger. Andy found it just about the time I set my scope up. It is a spetacular bird for Yakima County. It was even reasonably cooperative as far as photographing it is concerned, though I wouldn't have minded if it had come 100 yards closer.

      I placed three photos of the Parasitic Jaeger in the new photos folder on my website. The link is in the signature line below.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com