RE: Priest Rapids Sabine's Gull still present plus Common Tern

  • kevinslucas
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2013

      A little perspective.

      Birding the Grant County side of Priest Rapids Lake, rather than on the Yakima County side, has been much more productive for me, in terms of how many birds & different species I've seen. I highly recommend it, and access is much easier.

      Viewed from the eastern shore of Priest Rapids Lake, the nearest point on Goose Island is about 0.30 miles, or 528 yards away. I've got a superb scope, so when there aren't too many heat waves & the wind is low I'm able to get decent identification views of larger birds at the island, e.g. Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, Canada Geese, & some Common Loons. Most smaller birds are iffy for me.

      Going for Yakima County birds in the area of Goose Island -- anywhere for about 4 miles up from the dam, the shortest distance between shore on the Grant County side & the Yakima County line is about 0.75 miles, or 1,300 yards, so a bit more of a stretch. Just north of Goose Island it's about 0.9 miles. But under perfect conditions, if you're up for a really long shot, who knows what you might see?

      Good birding,
      Kevin Lucas
      Yakima, WA

      --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, <downess@...> wrote:

      Ventured over to the Grant County side this morning to try and relocate the Sabine's that Andy and Denny found on Saturday. There is a nice trail that goes along the river below Desert Aire. Walking that trail I was able to view 1 juvenile Sabine's out in midriver (right about countyline, best estimate was it spent time in both counties but more time in Grant). This would be about 1/2 mile WNW of Goose Island. The bird was sitting on the water for most of the time but would do short fluttering flights showing its distinctive wing and tail pattern. Thus it is possible to view these birds from the Grant County side if you have a good scope.

      The other bird of note was a 1st winter Common Tern that circled around Goose Island and then headed west towards the Yakima county shoreline. In fairness the bird was not identifiable by the time it got into Yakima County waters, only the closer view of the bird over Goose Island allowed for identification. Looks like some good birds are moving through this area. Wanted to post that at least 1 Sabine's was remained for a couple days and it is viewable on the much easier to access Grant County side given good viewing conditions and a good scope.

      Scott Downes
      Yakima WA