Possible Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Wenas Lake - September 7th

  • magicman32@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2013
      Hey all,

      I'm not 100% certain, but I think that I could've had had a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper today at around 1:00 PM. Here's my eBird description, I marked it as Pectoral/Sharp-tailed Sandpiper:
      Very exciting bird. Leaning towards Sharp-tailed, but will confirm. Possible second county record. Many photos taken (pretty good ones too, very cooperative bird), and extensive field notes taken. While counting Pecs, I decided to scan over further east on the mud. I noticed one bird feeding by itself, away from the flock of 10 pecs. I noticed a bold supercilium and less streaking on the chest, but didn't think much of it. I took a few photos and continued scanning. After going down and taking photos of the pecs, I scoped for it again and saw that it had flown in closer. I decided I'd go try and take some photos. As I got closer, I noticed the same field marks. I took many photos, noticing while I was taking them that the bird had an eye-ring and some streaking on its flanks. It had a really bright back, and an almost Lincoln Sparrow-like brightness on its breast. The bird basically looked exactly like the bird I saw in Westport last year. After taking around 50 or so photos, a Killdeer flushed it and I gave up. Photos are on my Flickr, here's the link:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdfishphotos/

      I've already sent to photos to Andy and Scott for confirmation. Let me know what you think!

      On a different note, I had a very successful trip in other ways as well. I got my Life Baird's Sandpiper (long overdue), and my county lifer Semipalmated Plover, which is one of my favorite birds. I also got my county year first American Pipit. Other birds of note were 10 Pectoral Sandpipers, an Eared Grebe, American Wigeon, 7 Red-necked Phalarope, and Savannah Sparrow. Here's the link to the complete checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15116771

      I got great photo ops of Pecs, Baird's Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, Eared Grebe, and many more. Photos should be on my flickr (link above) by tomorrow.

      Let me know if you have any questions!

      Thanks! Eric