Vaux's Swifts - New Chimney Roost?

  • Lori Isley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6 9:18 PM
      On my way home this evening I happened to catch a group I estimated as over one hundred Vaux's Swifts gathering over and eventually entering the brick chimney on the back of the Johnson's Auto Glass Building (between 1st and 2nd Streets) just before 8:00 p.m. It was a wonderful sight. Could this be the secret roosting sight Rich has been wondering about?

      Lori Isley
      S 18th Ave.
      Yakima, WA

      Sent from my iPad
    • Rich712@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7 2:15 PM
        Lori wrote:

        "On my way home this evening I happened to catch a group I estimated as over one hundred Vaux's Swifts gathering over and eventually entering the brick chimney on the back of the Johnson's Auto Glass Building (between 1st and 2nd Streets) just before 8:00 p.m. It was a wonderful sight. Could this be the secret roosting sight Rich has been wondering about?"

        Chirp,

        Well this is certainly timely.  National Audubon Vaux's Happening Coordinator Larry Schwitters just sent a reminder email that this weekend is National Swift Night Out.  He states, "The continent wide SWIFT NIGHT OUT for both Chimney and Vaux's Swifts is this weekend.  Friday, Saturday, or Sunday all work for them."

        He also sent a recap of Vaux's Swift roost observations for the first Saturday of September since 2008.  A sharp decline in numbers has been the trend over the past four years.

        So if you have some free time just before sunset tonight or tomorrow, consider checking out a chimney near you.  Historical locations in the valley are the Yakima Herald Republic, the Epic Headstart School at the intersection of Konnowac Pass/Yakima Valley Highway, and the old Sawyer mansion.  The first two have been busts for the past two or three years but maybe a resurrection will occur this year.  Post your sightings to BirdYak and I can forward them to Larry.

        The "big" roost sites on the west side are hitting thousands of birds the past few days.

        Swiftless of late