Granger area birding - September 2

  • magicman32@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2013
      Hey all, Yesterday I did some extensive birding of the areas around Granger (the river below my house, the golf course, and the cow pond). On a five hour walk below my house (I walked back and forth scoping several times), I saw a new high count for a walk; 68 species! I missed both House Sparrow and Morning Dove, which would have put me at 70. I also had a possible Chukar (I have recordings for those who are interested), which would put my list at 69 species. I got two yard birds (one was a county year bird for myself), as well as many fall migrants, and 5 shorebird species. My two yard firsts were a flyover LARK SPARROW and an out of place ROCK WREN. Other notable species were 59 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE (now becoming a daily bird, I believe that there's about 4 mixed in with a flock of Canada Geese as I'm posting this), Northern Pintail, Great Egret, VIRGINIA RAIL, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, Anna's Hummingbird, a very unusual HAIRY WOODPECKER, Marsh Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Wilson's Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, Savannah Sparrow, CASSIN'S FINCH, and Evening Grosbeak. Its beginning to get very exciting, I have more diversity now then I did in May! For details, here's the complete checklist (all species either marked late, rare, or uncommon, are marked as such based on the location) : http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15078088
      I later visited the golf course, which wasn't too exciting. I didn't see anything worth noting.
      I visited the cow pond and cornfield west of Liberty Rd around 6:30, both of which were very productive. The cow pond had multiple different species of waterfowl, including Pied-billed Grebe and Green-winged Teal, as well as both species of Yellowlegs, and a bird that looked like a Stilt Sandpiper (which unfortunately flushed as soon as I got out of the car). The cornfield has much less water then it used to, exposing lots of mud, great for peeps and maybe eventually *fingers crossed* Semipalmated Plover (to be clear, I did not actually see a Plover). There were around 35 peeps present, with the vast majority being Western Sandpipers, with a few Least Sandpipers mixed in. Other shorebirds included Wilson's Snipe, Killdeer, and last but not least, PECTORAL SANDPIPER. The Pectoral Sandpiper was a county lifer for myself, my 3rd in as many days! For details on the Pec, here's the checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15081787
      If there are any questions, feel free to send me an email.
      Thanks! Eric