Poorwills

  • Scott R a y
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2013
      I heard, then saw, two Common Poorwills in my yard this evening. I first
      heard one calling from both sides of my property. The birds responded to
      my Android IBird app call being played by flying over my head once together
      in the deepening dusk.

      One of them perched three feet above the ground on a bundle of wood posts,
      making short sorties up twenty or thirty feet to catch prey. I believe the
      prey was coddling moths.

      Scott R
      ay

      Yakima, WA
      mryakima at gmail dot com

    • magicman32@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2014
        Hey all, For those still in need of Common Poorwill, four of them were singing robustly last night on the walls of Cowitche Canyon.Eric