Yard walk

  • magicman32@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2013
      Hey all, I had a very exciting morning today in a two mile walk of the river below my house! I racked up an impressive 46 species in about an hour, with many good birds. The highlight of the morning was three GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, my yard bird nemesis and a county lifer!!! I racked up three eBird rarities, although 2 of them were only flagged as being late. The rarities were a late Lazuli Bunting, 5 Black-necked Stilts that I'm assuming were flagged as late, and of course, the Greater White-fronted Geese. Other birds of note were Greater Yellowlegs, Evening Grosbeak, Dark-eyed Junco, Chipping Sparrow, Common Merganser, American White Pelican, and a Western Meadowlark. The complete eBird checklist is here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15058409 This past week has been very exciting, producing three yard birds and some uncommon migrants. Highlights were 26 Blue-winged Teal (a yard bird), 2 Lesser Yellowlegs (another yard bird), Great Egret, Great Horned and Barn Owls, Anna's Hummingbirds, 19 Common Nighthawks, Red-breasted Nuthatch, many migrant Western Tanagers, and even a Red Crossbill. The habitat right now is absolutely pristine for Dowitchers, Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Peeps, and even a Stilt Sandpiper (as suggested by Andy). If anyone if interested in going out Monday morning, I should be free, just give me an email. Thanks! Eric
    • magicman32@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2013
        Hey all, Just got my second yard bird of the day! A flyover Swainson's Hawk! I am on a roll today! Eric  --- In birdyak@yahoogroups.com, <magicman32@...> wrote: Hey all, I had a very exciting morning today in a two mile walk of the river below my house! I racked up an impressive 46 species in about an hour, with many good birds. The highlight of the morning was three GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, my yard bird nemesis and a county lifer!!! I racked up three eBird rarities, although 2 of them were only flagged as being late. The rarities were a late Lazuli Bunting, 5 Black-necked Stilts that I'm assuming were flagged as late, and of course, the Greater White-fronted Geese. Other birds of note were Greater Yellowlegs, Evening Grosbeak, Dark-eyed Junco, Chipping Sparrow, Common Merganser, American White Pelican, and a Western Meadowlark. The complete eBird checklist is here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15058409 This past week has been very exciting, producing three yard birds and some uncommon migrants. Highlights were 26 Blue-winged Teal (a yard bird), 2 Lesser Yellowlegs (another yard bird), Great Egret, Great Horned and Barn Owls, Anna's Hummingbirds, 19 Common Nighthawks, Red-breasted Nuthatch, many migrant Western Tanagers, and even a Red Crossbill. The habitat right now is absolutely pristine for Dowitchers, Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Peeps, and even a Stilt Sandpiper (as suggested by Andy). If anyone if interested in going out Monday morning, I should be free, just give me an email. Thanks! Eric
      • magicman32@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2013
          I just looked at the eBird bar chart for Yakima county, and apparently the Greater White-fronted Geese I saw today were the first August record in eBird! Eric  --- In birdyak@yahoogroups.com, <magicman32@...> wrote: Hey all, Just got my second yard bird of the day! A flyover Swainson's Hawk! I am on a roll today! Eric  --- In birdyak@yahoogroups.com , <magicman32@...> wrote: Hey all, I had a very exciting morning today in a two mile walk of the river below my house! I racked up an impressive 46 species in about an hour, with many good birds. The highlight of the morning was three GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, my yard bird nemesis and a county lifer!!! I racked up three eBird rarities, although 2 of them were only flagged as being late. The rarities were a late Lazuli Bunting, 5 Black-necked Stilts that I'm assuming were flagged as late, and of course, the Greater White-fronted Geese. Other birds of note were Greater Yellowlegs, Evening Grosbeak, Dark-eyed Junco, Chipping Sparrow, Common Merganser, American White Pelican, and a Western Meadowlark. The complete eBird checklist is here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15058409 This past week has been very exciting, producing three yard birds and some uncommon migrants. Highlights were 26 Blue-winged Teal (a yard bird), 2 Lesser Yellowlegs (another yard bird), Great Egret, Great Horned and Barn Owls, Anna's Hummingbirds, 19 Common Nighthawks, Red-breasted Nuthatch, many migrant Western Tanagers, and even a Red Crossbill. The habitat right now is absolutely pristine for Dowitchers, Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Peeps, and even a Stilt Sandpiper (as suggested by Andy). If anyone if interested in going out Monday morning, I should be free, just give me an email. Thanks! Eric