Merlin in our yard this morning

  • gadzooks58
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2013
      I stepped out to water plants this morning about 7:00, and was surprised to hear chickadees sounding the alarm. I looked around for the neighbor's cat - nothing. I continued watering until I heard an odd cheeping sound at the top of the power pole. I finally looked up and spotted a falcon on top of the pole plucking a bird. I ran in and grabbed my bins and took a look at what I thought would be a Kestrel. Instead, I saw a Merlin. So, I went back in and grabbed the camera and took a few shots. It was a very dark brown bird, so I am guessing young bird or female. I think it must be a young bird as it didn't fly off when I came out and started taking photos of it. It seems that most Merlins are pretty skittish. I cannot decide if it is "columbarius" or "suckleyi."

      I will post a few photos later today.

      Karen Zook