Toni's Trip to Wenas Valley

  • cachenotcheck
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2013
      I met Toni from Orange County at the Red Apple Market in Selah at about 0550. We waited until a little after 0600 to see if anyone else was coming, hopefully we didn't miss anyone.
      We visited the lake, Hardy Canyon, Wenas Campground and Umptanum Road as far as the Observatory Road cut-off (no Northern Pygmy Owl).
      We saw a few birds and Toni seemed to have a good time.She was real happy about the Gray Catbird.

      Wenas Road:
      American Crow
      Mourning Dove
      European Starling
      California Quail
      American Robin
      Red-Tailed Hawk
      Wild Turkey

      Wenas Lake:
      Mallard
      Least Sandpiper
      Western Sandpiper
      Killdeer
      Swallows

      Hardy Canyon:
      Wilson's Warbler
      Gray Catbird
      Sharp-shinned Hawk
      Warbling Vireo
      Black-capped Chickadee
      Cedar Waxwing
      Western Tanager
      American Kestral
      Western Kingbird
      Dusky Flycatcher

      Wenas Campground:
      Steller's Jay
      Red-naped Sapsucker (same tree at the same time)
      White-headed Woodpecker (same tree at the same time)

      Audubon Road:
      Great Blue Heron (flying over Malloy road at the junction)
      Ruffed Grouse
      Dark-eyed Junco
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Northern Flicker(red-shafted)