Granger Cornfield Dowitchers plus Avociets

  • Scott Downes
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2013
      Checked out the corn field near the Granger Cow Pond from 5:30-6:00 this eve. Six dowitchers were present upon arrival. They were very flighty. I got good looks at four of the six prior to flight and all were long-billed. Then all six flew and called. All were long-billed by call in flight. Quite a few other shorebirds present in this small patch:

      Black-necked Stilt-8
      AMERICAN AVOCET-4
      Least Sandpiper-9
      Western Sandpiper-2
      Solitary Sandpiper-1
      Wilson's Snipe-3
      Killdeer-9

      When the avocets and dowitchers flew they flew to the east into the cornfield and did not return during my observation period. The Solitary came from out of the corn field. So, there may be other shorebirds in there.

      Scott Downes
      downess@...
      Yakima WA