Shorebirds and others

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2013
      Hey all,
      Did a quick trip with Scott this morning to several of the better lower valley shorebird areas which yielded some good birds. The highlight was the second documented (as far as eBird tells me) July record of Buffleheads. There were 3 young birds on the pond right on the south east corner of Lateral C and Fort Rd. Photos are on my flickr account ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdfishphotos/ ). Other highlights of the trip were a Prairie Falcon on Alfalfa-Granger Rd, a Long-billed Dowitcher and 12 Blue-winged Teal just north of the NWR ponds on 97, and 2 Solitary Sandpipers in the flooded field just west of Old Goldendale Rd on Marion Drain.

      For any more details about specific sightings, feel free to send me an email!

      Eric
    • Scott Downes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2013
        I aged them as first summer (hatched in 2012) birds. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear when we were viewing them. Nice picture of them. While there aren't many July records for Yakima County, looking at Ebird there are quite a few records for non-breeding areas in July. I'd suspect that many of these are of first year birds (second summer) that never went to breeding grounds, but rather were wandering around.

        Scott Downes
        downess@...
        Yakima WA