Swainson's'hawks

  • Gregory Bohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2013
      Tweet: Visited Lateral C and Marion Drain tonight and saw 2 Swainson's
      Hawks (one on each of two consecutive telephone poles) just south of Marion
      Drain. Looked for Bobolinks and found about 15 cows inside of the fenced
      area on the east side of Lateral C. Looked at fence at saw it was in place
      on north, south and west sides. There were a lot more cows on the east
      side, so I guess they came in through that side. Saw no Boblinks. We did
      see 9 great egrets in the trees (nesting area). Also saw a large falcon
      that I could not identify. It was light-colored all underneath with dark
      wing-tips. It did not have the fast wing beat of a prairie falcon, although
      it was similar or larger in size. Its wing beat relatively slowly about 4
      times and then it would glide; beat 4 times and then glide; etc. The wings
      were flat when it glided: not like the Turkey Vulture.

      Also saw a coyote with an injured front leg hobbling through the brush.