Oak Creek Golden Eagles!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2013
      OAK CREEK WILDLIFE AREA

      After a burger at Trout Lodge, Ellen and I, and Carol Riddell stopped
      alongside US-12 just a half-mile upstream from Oak Creek Road. It was about
      8 pm and the White-throated Swifts which nest on the cliffs just yards from
      the busy highway, were zipping by, calling excitedly. Some rocketed into
      their nest sites in clefts in the cliff. Up close and personal
      White-throated Swifts! Across the canyon, Ellen caught sight of a big
      raptor. A Golden Eagle! A closer look revealed it was a stunningly marked
      "ring-tailed" plumage juvenile. We saw both adult and youngster on a tall
      snag near cliffs I presumed to be their nesting site. The youngster appeared
      to be taking short "practise" flights from the snag, then would circle and
      realight in the snag. By and by one of its parents landed inches from this
      young eagle, making an inspiring view of these regal birds!

      Golden Eagle 2

      Red-tailed Hawk 1
      Vaux's Swift 1
      White-throated Swift 6