Fw: suet offer

  • Connie Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      I talked to Marsha Flamm & her husband today & they have a big box of frozen suet they want to off-load.  I was thinking it might be a nice addition to put some suet feeders in the sparrow patch at the Arboretum, or maybe somewhere else, or maybe mention in the Crier that it is available, if someone wants to put it out for woodpeckers etc.  I had some suet feeders in the yard before, but the hot weather isn't a good time to do it (it was winter when I did, & they did get used).  So maybe it could be an idea for later this fall?
      >  I may not be using the BirdYak site right, but I tried to post a question regarding the i.d. of an unusual finch/sparrow in the yard.  I know you are the moderator, so maybe you just deleted it because you knew it
      was some common one I should know.  I looked thru numerous bird books but can't find anything close.  It is finch-like, plain grayish breast, maybe pale yellowish near the lower part, his back feathers seem outlined in reddish brown, with a thin white shoulder stripe.  He has a definite tan eye stripe, from corner of eye to side of neck or back part of head.  His bill is paler than a house finch.  I thought I had just 1, but have since seen 2, & 1 was feeding a flapping, begging juvenile.  Any ideas?  or maybe you're still mad at me (you did say not to send you any more e mails once).  I'm sorry, I just thought some of the cute bird e mails would be nice to share with other bird lovers, but guess you're just not into that.
      >  Let me know if you or anyone is interested in the suet & I can call Marsha (or you can) & let them know.  I think he wants to free up some freezer space.  The box
      (by hand measure) seemed about 2' sq. maybe.  Would also appreciate input on the mystery bird if you are so inclined.  Sorry to bother you.