Re: [BirdYak] An idea I had...

  • Luke Safford
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
      I actually talked a little about this about a month ago with Richard Repp
      during a Thursday morning bird walk. I like the idea but I propose a change
      that makes it more like what they are doing in Texas and stays true to the
      "patch" idea.

      The idea behind this is to make a concerted effort to not use as much gas
      and to discover the birds (and birding areas) that are closer to your home.
      Thus the idea of a "patch". A patch is not supposed to be a big area. Much
      like a birding circle for a Christmas Bird Count you would have a 7.5 mile
      radius circle around your home. Thus, for each one of us our patch would
      look slightly different. Here is a website that will help you to find your
      appropriate circle for your residence:
      http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/

      This will help you set up a new eBird patch:
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/247047528758661/permalink/247494185380662/

      Here is a website that gives more info about why and what they are doing in
      Texas:
      http://www.bigbendnature.com/2013/01/crouching-longspur-hidden-warbler-patch.html

      A fun thing to do is to start anew in your patch for this year and post
      when you reach different milestones--50, 100, 150, etc. This will in turn
      give you a new appreciation for those birdy spots near your house.

      I was going to wait until later in the year to bring it up and doing a full
      year of this starting in Jan 2014 would be awesome. I'd be down for doing
      it earlier as well, but I do think keeping the "patch" a true "patch" is
      important and stays more true to eBird's purpose of such a category.

      Luke