An idea I had...

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hey everyone,
      I had an idea that I think might be a lot of fun if we can get a good number of people involved. My idea is kind of copied from an Audubon Society in Texas that does a competition of how many species a certain member can get in a specific patch in a given amount of time (a month, a year, something like that). I feel like it could be a lot of fun if we did the same thing as them and competed to see who could get the most species in a certain patch. The patch I had in mind is my Lower Yakima Valley patch which goes from Yakima (the end of Greenway approximately, over to the edge of West Valley, and to Sportsman State Park the other direction) to Grandview (basically the county line) and anywhere in between Tule Road and the top of Konawoc Pass. Since almost everybody lives in that general area, I feel like it could be pretty easy to make this our patch (that is, if we were to do it), making it very accessible to everyone and diminishing the amount of driving time to get into the patch. I was thinking that we could see who can get the most species of birds in that area for either every month or have it until the end of the year. If we like the idea of this competition enough, we could even do it next year! I would have quite the head start of everyone if we did this I would assume, I've already gotten 171 species in the patch this year, with my newest additions of Willow Flycatcher, Tricolored Blackbird, Bobolinks, and Eastern Kingbird (all but the Eastern Kingbirds were on Lateral C). If anyone is interested in my idea, send me an email! I was thinking that we would do this via eBird, although you non-eBirders could just tally them up on a county list. If I can get maybe 5 or so people that are interested in this to email me, I think we could have a great time trying to get the most species in the patch!

      Here's the link to my patch list, as well as others around the state. I am currently ranked #1 in the state for my patch this year, hopefully we can get some other Yakima county birders in the top 10 too!

      http://ebird.org/ebird/site/patch?locInfo.regionCode=US-WA&locInfo.regionType=subnational1

      If you're interested, email me and I'll figure out if there's enough people to have a competition with this. I suppose that we could have a prize for the winner if we do decide to do this!

      Thanks! Eric
    • Luke Safford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
        I actually talked a little about this about a month ago with Richard Repp
        during a Thursday morning bird walk. I like the idea but I propose a change
        that makes it more like what they are doing in Texas and stays true to the
        "patch" idea.

        The idea behind this is to make a concerted effort to not use as much gas
        and to discover the birds (and birding areas) that are closer to your home.
        Thus the idea of a "patch". A patch is not supposed to be a big area. Much
        like a birding circle for a Christmas Bird Count you would have a 7.5 mile
        radius circle around your home. Thus, for each one of us our patch would
        look slightly different. Here is a website that will help you to find your
        appropriate circle for your residence:
        http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/

        This will help you set up a new eBird patch:
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/247047528758661/permalink/247494185380662/

        Here is a website that gives more info about why and what they are doing in
        Texas:
        http://www.bigbendnature.com/2013/01/crouching-longspur-hidden-warbler-patch.html

        A fun thing to do is to start anew in your patch for this year and post
        when you reach different milestones--50, 100, 150, etc. This will in turn
        give you a new appreciation for those birdy spots near your house.

        I was going to wait until later in the year to bring it up and doing a full
        year of this starting in Jan 2014 would be awesome. I'd be down for doing
        it earlier as well, but I do think keeping the "patch" a true "patch" is
        important and stays more true to eBird's purpose of such a category.

        Luke