Yakima County around Mt. Adams-9 June

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2013
      Yakkers,

      We birded southwestern Yakima County near the Snowking Sno-park Area,
      noting Black-throated Gray Warbler about 250 yards north of the sno-park in
      regenerating forest of Douglas-fir/Douglas Maple. Hereabouts we also noted a
      Red-breasted Sapsucker and Pileated Woodpecker.

      A mile north on FR-82 from the sno-park, also in a regenerating clearcut
      with lots of snags we were pleased to note two Williamson's Sapsuckers. The
      forest composition here was a mixture of Wetside and Dryside: Douglas-fir,
      Grand Fir, and Vine Maple reflecting western Washington and Ponderosa Pine,
      Western Larch hallmarks of eastern parts of the state. A Puget White-crowned
      Sparrow here was a Wetside "spillover."

      Turkey Vulture 12
      Williamson's Sapsucker

      Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
      Pileated Woodpecker 1
      Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
      Western Wood-Pewee 1
      Hammond's Flycatcher 3
      Cassin's Vireo 1
      Warbling Vireo 3
      Common Raven 1
      Mountain Chickadee 1
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
      House Wren 3
      Hermit Thrush 2
      American Robin 1
      Nashville Warbler 5
      MacGillivray's Warbler 1
      Black-throated Gray Warbler 2

      Townsend's Warbler 3
      Townsend's x Hermit Warbler (hybrid) 1
      Chipping Sparrow 2
      White-crowned Sparrow (Puget Sound) 1

      ark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 5
      Western Tanager 3
      Black-headed Grosbeak 2
      Cassin's Finch 6
      Red Crossbill 3
      Pine Siskin 5
      Evening Grosbeak 2

      North on FR-82 3 miles from the Snowking Sno-park, we stopped at FR-060,
      here amid diseased Lodgepole Pine. There was lots of evidence of bark
      flaking and we soon noted Black-backed Woodpeckers. We found a nest with
      piping young near this junction and saw at least four black-backs in the
      area!

      Williamson's Sapsucker 2
      Black-backed Woodpecker 4

      Western Wood-Pewee 2
      Hammond's Flycatcher 1
      Warbling Vireo 5
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
      Brown Creeper 1
      Townsend's Solitaire 1
      Nashville Warbler 3
      Chipping Sparrow 3
      Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 3
      Western Tanager 2
      Cassin's Finch 2
      Pine Siskin 3

      Farther up FR-82, we hiked west 1.5 miles on the Pine-way Trail. This trail
      climbs gently through partially burned forest at first, then through a
      forest 100% burned. About one mile west from eastern trailhead we
      encountered another Black-backed Woodpecker in a charred forest of firs and
      a few lodgepole pines, making five for the day, our personal best ever for
      this species. This landscape, with thousands of fir snags coupled with a
      grassy groundcover looks dandy for hawk owl!

      Sooty Grouse 1
      Hairy Woodpecker 1
      Black-backed Woodpecker 1

      Western Wood-Pewee 3