Satus area

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 8:43 PM
      Hey all,
      I just wanted to report some interesting birds from the Satus area. I have not confirmed either of them, but am reporting them just to see if they're possible in that area. First off, while stopping at the south end of the bridge under construction, while I was listening for Horned Larks and other shrub steppe species, my mom caught quick glimpses of what she was thought were Bobolinks. She saw them fly into some grass (which I presume was bunchgrass) on the edge of the riparian shrubs (which I would guess were Wild Rose) and watched them strut on the ground for about 10 seconds before they disappeared into the grass. She described them as two males, with yellow caps, white wing patches, and all black otherwise.

      Secondly, I believe that I saw some Black Swifts soaring above Satus Creek about a mile south of the Satus Creek entrance. About 15 large black Swifts were flying high above the creek. Lower down flew 2 smaller Vaux's Swifts, giving a good size comparison. The clouds may have drove them down from higher altitudes. The only reason I'm at all skeptical is that there were cliffs in the very near area vicinity, making me think that they could be White-throated Swifts. I did not see any white, but I'm curious as to if Black Swift would be even possible.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks, Eric